Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Swaybar questions....

Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Exclamation Swaybar questions....

I know most of you guys/gals run disconnects on the front swaybar. but I have a serious question concerning REAR swaybars.

Off-road...they are a hinderance.
But for the road...If I were to remove the rear swaybar: How much will my roadibility suffer???

This is in regards to the 2" block kit I installed UNTIL I get the rear springs set.
The blocks moved the tire DOWN in relation to the swaybar mount. Now the tire is way too close for my liking.
Can I remove this, as I would refer to it as, a joke of a swaybar and still be able to drive on the street?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

SHould be able to..I think most everyone who goes beyond 2" lift removes theirs...I am removing mine with my new lift..
Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Just thought Id ask before I go and do it.
Not planning on destroying it, just remove it.

Worse case scenerio...it'll have to go back.

I don't think there will be any problems.
Always good to ask.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

haha, did you read my post on your thread about that???

when i saw it i took mine out, never put it back. don't notice it at all. i feel it just a hair at the rear over rail road tracks, thats it. i'd say chuck it.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Ditched mine as well...notice it going over some of the bigger speed bumps in my apartment complex, but overall on the road noticed no difference.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

It's a Jeep not a sports car. You may feel it if you try to take a curve on two wheels but you are NOT supposed to do that anyway.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
I know most of you guys/gals run disconnects on the front swaybar. but I have a serious question concerning REAR swaybars.

Off-road...they are a hinderance.
But for the road...If I were to remove the rear swaybar: How much will my roadibility suffer???

This is in regards to the 2" block kit I installed UNTIL I get the rear springs set.
The blocks moved the tire DOWN in relation to the swaybar mount. Now the tire is way too close for my liking.
Can I remove this, as I would refer to it as, a joke of a swaybar and still be able to drive on the street?
Depending on your setup, you may notice a difference or you may not. My rig is running a soft suspension setup (old man emu) and when i removed the rear sway bar, i could feel the sway back there quite a bit. I would like to put it back on but i don't have extended links to do so yet. Take it off and see how it feels to run without.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

I wonder if someone makes extended links for them for various lifts...The only time you might have an issue in all reality is if you ever have to jerk the wheel on the highway and then it could affect things but other then that ya should be safe....and I stress should..
Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer

You should feel a lil difference on the highway at 50+ MPH especially when changing lanes or braking but not enough to make you want to put it back on.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L I-4

With HD leaf springs, WHEN you get them, you won't have any need for it. But a lot of people remove them anyway, so you should be fine. Like Stryker said, you'll notice it at high speeds when turning, or maneuvering, but once you get some beefy spring packs, most of those effects will go away.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

While you guys were answering my post...I was conducting a little experiment.

Jacked it up and took it off. Went real easy and no snapped bolts.

Went for a ride and YES there is a noticable difference. Felt like I was driving a Samurai w/18" of lift. No at all stable even at 20MPH. I chalk that up to the weak/worn springs. Limped home and reinstalled. There is a little over a 1/4" clearance w/tire. That will be okay for now. I don't plan on doing any wheeling except for speedbumps and the occasional RR track.
I have used lifting blocks before but never on a XJ w/rear swaybar. ASAP they are gone. Like I said in my 2"BB post, They are merely temporary.
Live, learn, Don't do it AGAIN.

BRIGHT SIDE: After putting tires back on, I discovered why I have a slow leak on driver's rear. 4" decking screw... Good thing I have the tire plug kit handy.

Hmmmm. Those new spring packs from 4WDH are looking pretty tempting...
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
While you guys were answering my post...I was conducting a little experiment.

Jacked it up and took it off. Went real easy and no snapped bolts.

Went for a ride and YES there is a noticable difference. Felt like I was driving a Samurai w/18" of lift. No at all stable even at 20MPH. I chalk that up to the weak/worn springs. Limped home and reinstalled. There is a little over a 1/4" clearance w/tire. That will be okay for now. I don't plan on doing any wheeling except for speedbumps and the occasional RR track.
I have used lifting blocks before but never on a XJ w/rear swaybar. ASAP they are gone. Like I said in my 2"BB post, They are merely temporary.
Live, learn, Don't do it AGAIN.

BRIGHT SIDE: After putting tires back on, I discovered why I have a slow leak on driver's rear. 4" decking screw... Good thing I have the tire plug kit handy.

Hmmmm. Those new spring packs from 4WDH are looking pretty tempting...
Which springs from 4wdh are you looking at?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

i dont have mine in there if you dont care about body roll and realize that a jeep is a jep and not a corvette you can take you front one out to i ran without my front for 3 months just gotta be a little slower around corners.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by slowfreefall
i dont have mine in there if you dont care about body roll and realize that a jeep is a jep and not a corvette you can take you front one out to i ran without my front for 3 months just gotta be a little slower around corners.
Yeah you can go a little slower around corners but you can't go slower when it comes to evasive maneuvers out on the freeway. It's just too risky running with no sway bar and if you were in an accident due to loss of control, you would be held 100% liable due to lack of sway bars, which are a very important part of the suspension setup. Alot of people going around saying oh it's nothing, it handles fine but they are not thinking of what COULD happen and it CAN happen.

Don't risk it, your life, their life, or your jeep.

Last edited by muddeprived; 08-12-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

I care. Its my DD. And if I cannot drive it daily, it is useless to me.

Went for a ride and YES there is a noticable difference. Felt like I was driving a Samurai w/18" of lift. No at all stable even at 20MPH
To ME that is useless. The swaybar is back on. Weak springs are slated for replacement. Until replacement springs arrive at my doorstep, I will deal with any reprecusions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swaybar questions....