Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

sway bar ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o l ho
Default sway bar ????

ok guys just put in a 3" lift but what i want to is about the rear sway bar right now its disconnected can i leave it like that ? or do i have to take it all the way out ? whats the pros and cons
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM

? help
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Just about everybody on here that actualy does any wheeling has completely removed the rear sway for good. Its tiny and will perform pritty much exactly the same on the road with it in or out. Off road however it will flex up much more with it out. I say take it out and throw it in the trash and get some quick disconects for the front!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Take it off!

Not many cons. Lots of pros. Use it for more useful things, like a pig roast.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

take it off...
id remove the rear sway bar too

on a serious note i did take my sway bar off the rear and i couldnt tell on road, off road my rear started rubbing, a good thing because that meant more flex
Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 PM

ok nice sounds good yall
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Pitch it dude.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 2.5L MPI (Throttle Body Spacer, Intake)

I took it off of my dd and didn't knowtice a thing. Lose it!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Originally Posted by dans01classic
Just about everybody on here that actualy does any wheeling has completely removed the rear sway for good. Its tiny and will perform pritty much exactly the same on the road with it in or out. Off road however it will flex up much more with it out. I say take it out and throw it in the trash and get some quick disconects for the front!

I agree with everyone to pitch it, though I've been lazy and haven't gotten there yet (hasn't been much point to, the thing is so puny)

On my off roader, I pulled the front, though, and though it feels 'floaty' on the road, it's been fine. When I ended up parking the thing for engine trouble I took my daily up, knowing I'd probibly end up disconnecting the front on it as well.

it was a good thing I brought a wrench! I probibly would have had to park the thing and ride with the others the rest of the day, but we popped on of the link bolts off one side, rotated the link out of the way, and had full articulation afterwards, and I've not bothered to reconnect it, again, just feels a little floaty around the corners...

Which brings me to my point: I'd driven out to the hills with it on, and wasn't thinking about it on the way back! It had rained a little and the road was wet, and I nearly slid off the road going around a tightish right turn. While the rear might not do much, the front changes the handling a lot, and a change like that takes time to relearn how the jeep handles. it just suprised me that it would slide so much more, I'd thought it would just make the body roll more.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

I ditched mine and couldn't tell a difference. The front is another story; its just dangerous to drive on roads without one.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Hmmm factory put them on the jeep and the jeep is on the road,I'd leave them on for dd.For off road I'm in total agreement take them off for off roading.They are put on for a reason that an engineer thought they are needed for. I dont see any licenced engineers on here ,just my opinion.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:05 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by rich
Hmmm factory put them on the jeep and the jeep is on the road,I'd leave them on for dd.For off road I'm in total agreement take them off for off roading.They are put on for a reason that an engineer thought they are needed for. I dont see any licenced engineers on here ,just my opinion.

I see your point, but it doesnt take a licenced engineer to see how small and puny the rear sway bar is. Have you ever seen it. If you had, you would have noticed that its smaller around then a straw from Mcdonalds. lol. The thing is we are talking about a lifted vehicle. when you lift a vehicle you alter its factory dynamics, so its no longer able to do its job 100 percent anyways. Most (and i use the term loosely) people with lifted vehicles know they shouldn't be taking turns at autobahn speeds because of increased roll-over rates. So there should be minimal sway if your driving like an adult on the road. Your 100 percent correct about the front, there is definate need for that support of the weight of the engine up front, and it is completely dangerous to drive without it. Oh and by the way, I was an engineer for about 5 years untill i relized the job sucked, pay wasn't worth the BS and I went back to school.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM

ya this xj is just for off roading
Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by dans01classic
I see your point, but it doesnt take a licenced engineer to see how small and puny the rear sway bar is. Have you ever seen it. If you had, you would have noticed that its smaller around then a straw from Mcdonalds. lol. The thing is we are talking about a lifted vehicle. when you lift a vehicle you alter its factory dynamics, so its no longer able to do its job 100 percent anyways. Most (and i use the term loosely) people with lifted vehicles know they shouldn't be taking turns at autobahn speeds because of increased roll-over rates. So there should be minimal sway if your driving like an adult on the road. Your 100 percent correct about the front, there is definate need for that support of the weight of the engine up front, and it is completely dangerous to drive without it. Oh and by the way, I was an engineer for about 5 years untill i relized the job sucked, pay wasn't worth the BS and I went back to school.
Nice rebuttle, I can't stand it when people come in and start in with the "Well thats how it is from the factory and engineers are smarter than you," bs. No offense to the guy who was saying that, but the rear sway bar is absolutely pointless
Originally Posted by the jeep man 94
ya this xj is just for off roading
DITCH IT MAN!!!11!1!1313!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rich
I'm not a PE (professional engineer), b/c I don't care to be the last one to sign off on high risk projects, but I am an engineer and I approve this message...

"ditch the rear, you won't notice it, keep the front, you'll fu*kin die without it."

Quick Reply: sway bar ????