Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

swapping to 10 in. "police" drums

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default swapping to 10 in. "police" drums

Somebody offered me a set of 10" drums, pads, and wheel cylinders cheap.
It would be a nice upgrade for the towing package, but I'm never going to find a police rear end to scavenge the rest of the stuff I need. (backing plates, arms, adjusters etc.)

I went thru the Budget Builds thread and did a Google search, but couldn't find out if there was another vehicle that used the Chrysler 8.25 rear axel with 10" drums that might be easier to locate.

Anybody happen to know of one?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6

Nope, but if you haven't bought them already, there is a disc brake swap for sale in the for sale thread
Old 06-03-2012, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

if your wanting to do this conversion then i would talk to you local parts stores and auto suppliers. from the sounds of it you have all except the backing plate. I know that the O'rielly's auto by me can get me the backing plate for the 10" along with all the hardware you would need.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Year: 1995 &2000
Engine: 4.0

You would be saving money and have better stopping power with doing the zj rear disc swap
Old 06-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

Having swapped from 10" to 8" during my axle swap trying to find parking brake pieces is next to impossible to get. I'm currently running without a parking brake waiting on my disc brake swap. Disc brakes are worth the extra money, there is a reason that auto makers went away from drums.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Originally Posted by nickxj94
You would be saving money and have better stopping power with doing the zj rear disc swap
maybe. the stopping for sure but if he has all or almost all of the stuff for the 10" then he would be cheaper going that route. That is if he wants to. There is a guy on here ( don't remember name and have yet to search for him again ) selling the stuff to do the conversion to disk if that is what you wish to do.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM

Yes,
disks would most likely give me more stopping power.
Yes,
I can find all the new parts, on line, to do the swap.

Thanks.

The question was:

DO YOU KNOW OF ANOTHER VEHICLE THAT USES THE CHRYSLER 8.25 REAR END AND 10" BRAKES.

If you don't know, that's okay, I still love you.
But try and stick with the thread okay.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Marcucco
Yes,
disks would most likely give me more stopping power.
Yes,
I can find all the new parts, on line, to do the swap.

Thanks.

The question was:

DO YOU KNOW OF ANOTHER VEHICLE THAT USES THE CHRYSLER 8.25 REAR END AND 10" BRAKES.

If you don't know, that's okay, I still love you.
But try and stick with the thread okay.
Responses like these will quickly make people not like you very much and pass up any thread for help that you post. Don't be a smart anus.

You have all members saying that the disc swap will:

1) Yield better results
2) Be cheaper
3) Be less of a hassle as trying to locate rare parts
4) Be more reliable

yet despite the responses, you seem to want to defy convention with doing something that will be more difficult, potentially cost big $$$ for backing plates, etc., and yield results that are not optimum. But whatever floats your boat bud. I'll just reinforce though that it is not wise to post responses like you did. You will upset people.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Responses like these will quickly make people not like you very much and pass up any thread for help that you post. Don't be a smart anus.

You have all members saying that the disc swap will:

1) Yield better results
2) Be cheaper
3) Be less of a hassle as trying to locate rare parts
4) Be more reliable

yet despite the responses, you seem to want to defy convention with doing something that will be more difficult, potentially cost big $$$ for backing plates, etc., and yield results that are not optimum. But whatever floats your boat bud. I'll just reinforce though that it is not wise to post responses like you did. You will upset people.
Well stated. I feel the same way having done a rear disc conversion on an 8.25. I'll even post a step by step link to doing the rear discs.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/re...-8-25-a-57807/
Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 PM

Year: 1995 &2000

Well I got everything at pick and pull off a 96 zj for under 90 bucks and it even has new pads that's why I say it be saving money cause I just waisted 40 bucks on new drum brakes and it still don't stop worth a Dang, but goodluck on your swap
Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

police issue dana35 will net you the parts you need, but as stated good luck finding the parts you need. And it won't stop any better. I had the parts but junked em with my d35.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcucco
I'm never going to find a police rear end to scavenge the rest of the stuff I need.
I know where 4 of them are. But you'll have to work really really fast 'cuz they're gonna be angrier than hornets on a hotplate if they catch you.

Actually Rock Auto carries drum parts for both the 9" and the 10". Spring/adjuster kits, etc. The backing plates, etc. are probably avail. from the dealer if nothing else. I also found scrapyard listings for the 10" setup on car-part.com, ,leading me to believe those scrapyards probably have the whole axle. Might be worth a search and a couple calls.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Guys please please stay on topic with the OP. he does not want disc brakes. He asked a specific question and the had to repeat it. He wants 10 in drums of you cant help then move on.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 AM

Thanks Stryker

I am able to get 10" drums, pads and wheel cylinders, brand new, for $50. A friend had them hanging around and wants to make them gone.
I expect I can find a junk 8.25 out of a pick-up or van for $50 or less because I don't care about the condition of the gears or axels.
This means I can redo my rears, complete, with new drums and wheel cylinders for $100.

The disk conversion will certainly cost more then that and I end up with used rotors and calipers.

I'm not off-roading it, I'm not towing the Queen Mary and Im not running it around the track at Daytona.
The 10" will suit my needs and get me out from under the Jeep for short money.

I was just hoping somebody might know an alternate model off the top of their head and save me from crawling around the JY with a tape measure.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Originally Posted by nickxj94
X2, it's just a better idea if you are going to go through the hassle mind as well upgrade.

Quick Reply: swapping to 10 in. "police" drums