Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sunk My Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Sunk My Trunk

Hey guys, finally got my jeep lifted on 3" skyjacker leafs and coils. went out to the swamp today, and i slid into a deep part of the puddle/trail. (still riding stock tires). basically for the first time, my carpet throughout the whole truck for the most part is soaked with muddy water and i was wondering what you guys do when this happens. ill post a pic from my phone later, my whole back tire was submerged.

Side note, speaking of the lift kit, i still need shocks and i was wonder what you guys recommend. 3" Skyjacker Leaf Spring and Coil Spring and SkyJacker Control Arms. Probably going to be rocking 31x10.5 tires at some point. but yeah i like a soft ride so im not sure what kind of shocks to get
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: Inline Six

get a decent dehumidifier, turtle wax carpet cleaner and a shop vac. Along with some Goodyear Duratrac tires!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

shop vac and leave the doors open whenever you can
or like many on here rip carpet out and bedline
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Remove the seats and the carpet. Use a garden hose to flush both sides and don't reinstall the carpet until it's dry. A shop vac won't get it dry or clean and it will smell.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by joemomma22
Hey guys, finally got my jeep lifted on 3" skyjacker leafs and coils. went out to the swamp today, and i slid into a deep part of the puddle/trail. (still riding stock tires). basically for the first time, my carpet throughout the whole truck for the most part is soaked with muddy water and i was wondering what you guys do when this happens. ill post a pic from my phone later, my whole back tire was submerged.

Side note, speaking of the lift kit, i still need shocks and i was wonder what you guys recommend. 3" Skyjacker Leaf Spring and Coil Spring and SkyJacker Control Arms. Probably going to be rocking 31x10.5 tires at some point. but yeah i like a soft ride so im not sure what kind of shocks to get
If you want a cheap pare of shocks, get some stock ones from a jk wrangler. If you want some decent ones get some nitro shocks from any of the big lift companies, if you want some good ones get some bilstien 5100s
Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

I took all my carpet out after it got completely submerged a couple times. Plan on bedlining it after fixing the little bit of rust I have.

As for shocks, any decent monotube shock. I prefer Bilsteins, but there are some other decent options that are a little cheaper.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Okay so I haven't really cleaned too much as far as soap and water goes but idid a bit of shop vaccing and I took out my backseat for now. I'm at work and I have a huge dehumidifier for my basement that I took with me haha. So I'll pull around back and run an extension cord and just leave that on while I'm here.

Here's a pic of me stuck http://pbckt.com/pN.Jefcvp

As for the shocks I figured bilsteins that's all anyone ever recommends. I heard nitros are really stiff. I don't want to feel like I'm in a go kart lol
Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by Nakedginger
get a decent dehumidifier, turtle wax carpet cleaner and a shop vac. Along with some Goodyear Duratrac tires!
So he says he was riding around in the swamp.. and you tell him he needed duratracs? If you're swamping get some knobbys, not an all terrain.

And as far as the trunk goes.. If you REALLY want it clean, pull the carpet and pull out the pressure washer. Spray it down and scrub it with a brush and some purple power.

Last edited by xj_maniac_newb; 02-17-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I tell ya what, when my carpet got soaked in nasty smelling mud I tried all sorts of stuff to clean it. The only thing that really worked was removing the carpet entirely, and giving it a thorough wash or two with a good scrubber brush. Then hang it up to dry.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I'm at work and I have a huge dehumidifier for my basement that I took with me haha. So I'll pull around back and run an extension cord and just leave that on while I'm here.
Imagine you crap your pants and just use a hair dryer on your underwear, a little graphic I know, still the same thing. Better to just toss whatever got soaked, that way peeps won't look at you funny when they are in your ride.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Lol thanks. It doesn't really smell thankfully. On a side note I can't get the stupid dehumidifier to stay on lol.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan on never going mudden again, take out carpet, tie to roof until dry, and then install.

If you plan on going mudden again,,,,take out carpet, throw it in the trash..
we don't need no carpet...
Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bob98Classic
If you plan on never going mudden again, take out carpet, tie to roof until dry, and then install.

If you plan on going mudden again,,,,take out carpet, throw it in the trash..
we don't need no carpet...
Right. But this is my dd too. Idk yet.

On yet another side note I've been lookin into lockers lol. I like not getting stuck haha. Either an eaton e locker or an arb air locker. But idk where to get them the cheapest seeig as they aren't cheap to start. Every penny saved counts lol.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 AM

Year: 1998

Okay so I haven't really cleaned too much as far as soap and water goes but idid a bit of shop vaccing and I took out my backseat for now. I'm at work and I have a huge dehumidifier for my basement that I took with me haha. So I'll pull around back and run an extension cord and just leave that on while I'm here.

Here's a pic of me stuck http://pbckt.com/pN.Jefcvp

As for the shocks I figured bilsteins that's all anyone ever recommends. I heard nitros are really stiff. I don't want to feel like I'm in a go kart lol
Name:  AF6234C5_zpsa7306f8b.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  126.9 KB
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Seasoned Member

thanks for pinning the picture. couldnt figure it out from my phone. pretty nice right?

Quick Reply: Sunk My Trunk