Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sun roof leak!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l straight 6
Exclamation Sun roof leak!

my sunroof isnt sealing right and my headliner is starting to grow mold on it! does anyone know what i can use to help seal it? i thought about using caulk or something. also how should i get rid of the mold? thank!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

Caulk, and replace headliner board and all with a newer non moldy one
Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Year: 2000

If you do use caulk, make sure it's silicone. If it were mine, I'd remove the sunroof, thorougly clean the mating surfaces & use butyl rope.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 AM

where can i find a new headliner? ive looked around but cant seem to find any!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 AM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by JonHughes
where can i find a new headliner? ive looked around but cant seem to find any!
You could make your own, search "custom headliner"
Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

my sunroof was leaking all over the place too, with most of the water landing on the driver seat (not fun). a new latch fixed that though. hasn't leaked since.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 AM

i searched custom headliner and headliner board but i cant find anywhere that sells just the headliner board. i know how to fix the cloth but my headliner is just covered in mold lol. i took it off and cleaned everything out and made sure it closed tightly but it still is leaking.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

Find a good headliner board in the Jyard
Old 01-28-2010, 04:06 AM

i managed to peel of the layer of mold growing in my headliner, looks like i can re use my original one.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L
Default Where is the Sunroof Drain tube&where does it drain?

I have a question. I have read that there is a drain tube for the sun roof. It is supposed to be under the headliner, right? I did not see it so please tell me where it is hooked up and where it drains. I just put in new headliner material and do not want to have it, or the cars interior, to mold again.

I recently (June 2011) purchased a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The interior was covered with mildew, and when I threw water on top some water leaked through the sunroof.

My son and I cleaned up the interior. The headliner had been stripped down to the fiberglass in some spots and in others there was still a layer of foam attached in other spots. We removed the headliner and used a wire brush to brush off any foam that was still stuck to it. I ordered new head liner material from

http://www.stockinteriors.com/headli...14&ModelId=248

Applied it as required (instructions on the web site) and it looks brand new. I had a couple of cracks I made in the headliner during removal and patched it up on the back side with chunks of old tee shirt attached using spray on contact cement. I did not see any drain tube during this operation (it may have fallen out or something). If I know where it is hooked up and where it the drain is directed I can avoid having this great vehicle get funky again.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by kayaker1953
I have a question. I have read that there is a drain tube for the sun roof. It is supposed to be under the headliner, right? I did not see it so please tell me where it is hooked up and where it drains. I just put in new headliner material and do not want to have it, or the cars interior, to mold again.

I recently (June 2011) purchased a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The interior was covered with mildew, and when I threw water on top some water leaked through the sunroof.

My son and I cleaned up the interior. The headliner had been stripped down to the fiberglass in some spots and in others there was still a layer of foam attached in other spots. We removed the headliner and used a wire brush to brush off any foam that was still stuck to it. I ordered new head liner material from

Applied it as required (instructions on the web site) and it looks brand new. I had a couple of cracks I made in the headliner during removal and patched it up on the back side with chunks of old tee shirt attached using spray on contact cement. I did not see any drain tube during this operation (it may have fallen out or something). If I know where it is hooked up and where it the drain is directed I can avoid having this great vehicle get funky again.
when I took out my sunroof (1996 xj country) which was a "factory" installed ASC sunroof it had 4 drain tubes... one on each corner of the sunroof track. the fron two tubes ran down behind the plastic on either side of the windshield and the rear two ran down behind the plastic where the rear seatbelts attach.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Since i didnt need my sunroof ive done it two ways on two diff vehicles,
One i used JB weld putty its a little pricey but works great
RO if you go to a rv place they sell great sealers
Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L
Default My roof repair

Originally Posted by JonHughes
my sunroof isnt sealing right and my headliner is starting to grow mold on it! does anyone know what i can use to help seal it? i thought about using caulk or something. also how should i get rid of the mold? thank!

Jon,

I took my head liner out and cleaned the drain tube from the sun roof by slowly pushing a ground wire (small one with the end rounded so it would not rip through the drain line) through the rubber drain tube and rinsing it by shooting oxy clean down the new passage. Dried it with reduced air pressure. No need to calk anything after that. I then ordered replacement headliner material and spray on adhesive and followed the instructions given.
Originally mine dripped on me during turns and the head liner was hanging in shreds. I did not replace the gaskets because I had read in a couple of places that replacement did not help. When I took off the headliner it became more obvious. It worked for me.

John