Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Suddenly wont start, no spark?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 4wd
Default Suddenly wont start, no spark?

95 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0L 4x4

The jeep has been running fine. i drove it around the other day for an hour or so came home and parked it. It rained over night. The next morning it wont start. The starter sounds like its turning over but it just dosnt start. No idiot lights come on that dont normally when trying to start it.

My father is more mechanically inclined than me so i asked him to take a look. He said he did the screw driver in the spark plug cable trick and couldnt see a spark.

I had someone tell me my battery is bad. But then how does it have enough juice to run the starter, and not fire the engine up?

I read online it might be my Crank sensor? is there any way to test this? where is the crank sensor located?

Its really baffling as the only thing that happened over night was cold rain, and its been raining for the last few days. But the truck has seen rain alot before and not had problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by New2Jeeps42; 10-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

The CPS is high on the bell housing, about 11:00 facing forward. A bit tough to reach, and yes, a common culprit. I think there IS a testing procedure, maybe search it. It's plug again on the left back by the fire-wall (Rear of valve cover), can be a problem. You might disconnect your battery, (for other reasons), disconnect that (4 wire on mine), plug. Check it, then put all back and try it.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Had the same problem with mine a month ago. Replaced the Crank sensor and it ran fine. I had to drop the front driveshaft out of the pumpkin to get to the CPS.
The following users liked this post:
Disposiblehero (06-12-2020)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

For no spark, the #1 suspect is the crank sensor. The #2 suspect is the ignition coil.

But the crank sensor fails waaaaaaaaaay more frequently than the coil.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 PM

after alot of scouring on the net i saw where someone recommend i turn the ignition on then off then on then off then on and leave it on. the check engine light will turn off then blink codes to you to tell you whats up with the truck, and (given i didnt miss a flash) i get 11, 12, 33, and 35.

Code 11-Camshaft signal or Ignition signal-no reference signal detected during engine cranking.
Code 12-Memory to controller has been cleared within 50-l00 engine starts.
Code 33-Air conditioner clutch relay circuit-open or short detected in the air conditioner clutch relay circuit. If vehicle doesn't have air conditioning ignore this code.
Code 35-Radiator fan control relay circuit-open or short detected in the radiator fan relay circuit.
so that plus your guyses input, looks like its the CPS. After some scouring i found a few pictures and so i went to try to locate it on my jeep.

man its looks ridiculous.

someone mentioned having to drop the front DS out to get at it, but it looks to me like it would still be super hard.

im really strapped for cash right now, and i really dont want to have to pay a mechanic tons of hours in labor if he has to drop the transmission or something to get at 1 sensor.

is it doable yourself on a 95? if so can someone point me to a guide. i found one youtube video but the guy was doing it to a Grand Cherokee and it looks alot easier than my 95 Cherokee Country. Anyone know of a guide? or is there an easy access im just missing completely? I see tons of CPS threads on here where people say they change them themselves, so it seemed like i would be able to do this. But looking at it, it looks daunting.

not to mention getting another one up in there and lined up right. or getting it up high enough.

Last edited by New2Jeeps42; 10-09-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

You wanna' make sure to check it's connecter, by the firewall, by the rear of the valve cover.

Was over 10 years ago but I remember it's a *****. Get it as clean as you can around there. Set up some good light. String together long extensions (3/8 drive). You might use a couple of FEET. This might be one that could use more than one universal, like one at the socket, and another a few extensions back, then more extensions after that. I don't remember. That's all I got. Maybe someone who has done it this century can add something. Good luck!................................Bendy Chopsticks! V V

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-09-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:58 PM

people have also said in threads and other sites that you can damage it sometimes while installing. this is beginning to seem like putting together a ship in a bottle with tweezers that are three feet long...
Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Good link to a procedure on replacing the crank sensor..............

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoCPSchange.htm
Old 11-24-2011, 09:15 PM

UPDATE

took it to mechanic

he said CPS but my coil was rough too. replaced both. runs like a charm.

thanks for all the replies this forum is the best

total bill 314.13 dollars

122 dollars on the cps
60 on the coil
rest manhours
Old 11-25-2011, 05:41 AM
CF Veteran

Glad we could help..........nice to see some success stories here.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Glad it's up and running. CPS was one of the first things I changed on my 93 and it was a little daunting but if I can do it...lots of write ups helped me. (Thanks!) But I can give a couple related tips.
1. Extentions are your best friends. Got a couple of wobble extentions that were alot easier to use than a swivle. Been life savers a dozen times and a must have in your toolbox.
2. Be very careful not to drop the bolts into the bellhousing.

Again, glad it worked out. But it can be done by a backyard mech for under $30. Plus the beer money.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by New2Jeeps42
UPDATE

took it to mechanic

he said CPS but my coil was rough too. replaced both. runs like a charm.

thanks for all the replies this forum is the best

total bill 314.13 dollars

122 dollars on the cps
60 on the coil
rest manhours
Glad that you got her going again. I had the exact same problem. When I changed out my CPS I also had to change out my coil
Old 08-08-2015, 09:50 PM

Default Security feature

Ok, my house burned down and lost the original keys. I replaced the ignition and now it wont start bc of the security feature on my 95 jeep cherokee sport. Is there a way to disable this or bypass this?
Old 08-09-2015, 07:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Terri Tiffani
Ok, my house burned down and lost the original keys. I replaced the ignition and now it wont start bc of the security feature on my 95 jeep cherokee sport. Is there a way to disable this or bypass this?
Sorry to hear about the house.

You need to start a new thread. Tagging onto this one is confusing for us and will result in less answers for you.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:25 PM

Default No Spark after replacing RMS and valve cover '99 4.0

Greetings:

Having some trouble with 1999 Cherokee Sport 2WD 4.0L after replacing valve cover gasket, rear main seal and oil pump. Vehicle was starting and running fine before the service, and was cranking after replacing the valve cover gasket. I disconnected the coil and spun it several times to make sure I had the oil pump primed before it cranked, so the first thing I suspected was I flooded it. Took the plugs out and replaced them, still not cranking.

I have not visually verified there is no spark, but i smell fuel out the exhaust. I won't have any help until tonite, was hoping someone may see this and suggest a fix by then. If not I will make positive there is no spark.

Obviously the first thing i would suspect is the CPS if nothing else had been disturbed on the vehicle. But since the vehicle was running fine before I took the bottom end apart, I thought maybe I disturbed something else. The battery was disconnected, therefore IF this thing has an anti theft system on it I suppose there is a possibility it has the ignition disabled. We just bought it, theres no key fob but it has power windows and locks, not sure if it has an alarm.

I checked to make sure the CPS connector was tight.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Quick Reply: Suddenly wont start, no spark?