Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stumped

00 Sport
This is my situation:
Mechanic filled the a/c, runs cold for a day, now blows hot. Take it back to mechanic, dye test, can't find a leak. Tells me he is certain the compressor is bad but can't guarantee that is the fix. Obvious there is a leak somewhere and I'm not sold on the bad compressor(blows cold when system is charged). I ask if he can bypass the compressor, pull a vacuum and make certain there isn't a leak. He says "No". Bring it home, find a green oily puddle under the passenger side of the front bumper.

Anyone with similar experiences that can help me out?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

A good AC guy will not rely solely on a die test. He'll use a sniffer to locate leaks. It's a sealed system, so if you're losing freon, it's got to be going somewhere and a sniffer should find it pretty easily. If he has legitimate reason to suspect the compressor is bad, it may be leaking out from behind the pulley/clutch. Again, a sniffer would verify this. If you need a new compressor, try a 4 seasons from www.rockauto.com. I got mine there for $137 and it works great.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

also heads up... there is a known problem in good shops who actually look up info on the vehicle that they are working on that the High limit switch and the compressor clutches on our year xj's. My 00's a/c stopped working properly and it would blow cold air and then switch to hot air only. When i brought it in the mechanic brought out a two page list of known problems with our a/c system. the high limit switch is around $40 and I couldn't find a rebuild kit for the compressor clutch in my area but a whole new unit was around $200 with core charge.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM

IF you traced the orifice tube you would see that it is connected via a coupler right near the passenger side front bumper, up high near the stop corner of the radiator under the radiator hose. I believe it connects to the radiator via this coupler. Maybe your leak is somewhere in that area.

8lugs

Last edited by 8lugnuts; 07-11-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: wrong term