Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Studdering and exhaust build up

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Studdering and exhaust build up

A month or so ago my rear o2 sensor got caught around my drive shaft and it ripped all the wires from the o2 sensor. It took me a few weeks to replace the o2 sensor and during that time my jeep started acting funny around start up. It's right around when I either shift into second or get on the gas for the first time it studders and wont accelerate and I have to give it a lot of gas and then I get a bit of a back fire and then its all normal. Still does it since Ive replaced the o2 sensor. I reset the computer hoping it would help but it hasnt. Only does it once right when leave.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I had the same thing happen on mine the drive shaft ate the O2 harness. I re-connected the wires but still getting an O2 code so I will solder them back together before inspection in November. You may have also have blown the fuse for the O2 sensors in the Power distribution box under the hood. That works both O2 sensors. The rear sensor is mainly there to check the cat, the upstream O2 sensor controls the mix which will definitely give you a running problem.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by dans98xj
I had the same thing happen on mine the drive shaft ate the O2 harness. I re-connected the wires but still getting an O2 code so I will solder them back together before inspection in November. You may have also have blown the fuse for the O2 sensors in the Power distribution box under the hood. That works both O2 sensors. The rear sensor is mainly there to check the cat, the upstream O2 sensor controls the mix which will definitely give you a running problem.
Good call. O2 sensor fuse was blown. Ill let you know if it improves the driving