Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Studdering

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Studdering

I just replaced my clutch in my 94 XJ, 4L, AX15, NP231 when completed I noticed quite a bit of studdering. My stepfather drove it back from the mechanics and wasnt aware of the fact that the 4L runs at ALOT lower RPMs than his 4cyl Ranger so he drove it at 3000rpm all the way home. I feel like this may have cooked a sensor. I recognized the symptoms and double checked with a mechanic who agreed it was my TPS sensor so I went ahead and replaced it. For 50 bucks why not right?

So brand new TPS, and clutch kit. I notice I still get the studdering a little. Is it possible I somehow killed the TPS sensor?

It was fine for several hours yesterday when i went wheeling and I noticed it started only about 2 hours after i got back from wheeling.

Symptoms: bucking, like driving around 2000rpm then all of a sudden the nose dives as if i left off the gas to use engine compression to slow down.

My ideas?
- TPS could be bad, although unlikely, it is possible.
- O2 sensor? Not sure on this but I was stuck in Clay type mud for a good 15 minutes with the engine running and i can see that frying it.
- Fuel pump? Reason: It feels like it all of a sudden has no fuel.

I noticed it tends to do its slowing down thing when we hit bumps, although it does do it when we're not hiting bumps.

Also, I do have a check engine light since I changed the TPS sensor. I changed the sensor without disconnecting the battery(I know i know... i forgot) My idea is now that I have a check engine light its obviously throwing codes so how do I check them without a code reader? I know some vehicles it'll blink the light in flashes and dashes and then you look those up online and it'll tell you what the code is for. Anything for the XJ?

I apologize for my poorly structured explanation, never been too good at it. lol
Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

You should check your fuel pressure. It should be approx. 39psi.

This should help with the codes:
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm
Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

fuel filter,spark plugs, spark plug wires, dist cap and rotor?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Spark plugs, wires, distributor, cap, and rotor are all brand new. as for the fuel filter I should take a look. just seems odd that it would start doing this now if the filter were clogged.

That link is broken for the codes by the way.

I guess I'll hop over to canadian tire and see if they can just tell me my fuel pressure. I dont have a gauge.

I have a haynes manual, if i got a gauge would it say somewhere in there where I can hook it up? I mean a shop gauge not one you wire up and keep permanently.

FYI, this is currently my DD so I'm kinda stressed about it lol. I'm looking at a couple beaters for my back up tonight. 1990 Ford Topaz ftw hopefully. lol
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

ok so Im pulling codes "12" and "24" i believe. I've counted 3 times now and im fairly confident thats it. heres the link i used.

http://check-engine-light-codes.blog...code-self.html

According to that:

12 memory to controller has been cleared within 50-100 engine starts
Makes sense, I pulled my battery last night to see if it was just left over BS from the last TPS

24 throttle positioner sensor voltage high/low

So does that mean the thing is fried or? What shall i do wise ones?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Check the wiring and connector to the TPS, also check your grounds. It is possible that even though you just replaced it the TPS is bad but I would check that you have good wiring and ground before replacing it again.