Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stuck on door problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Stuck on door problem

Replaced my speakers yesterday, couldn't figure how to safely remove door lock bars so I did my best to work around them. Now:

Drivers Side door won't lock. The lock is pushed over on lock but the door won't lock.

Passenger side door does the same exact thing and the window won't go down. Going to remove speaker and see if I may have drilled through at wire while drilling new holes for speakers, but doesn't explain door lock bars. I read somewhere you need to bend them back in place, but I have no reference. Ugh.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Passenger side window and door lock button does not work.

Broke the corner off where the lock bar meets the handle, gotta drill a new hole for bar. This is turning into such a mess! I just wanted new speakers!!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two plastic retaining clips that hold the metal rods in place onto the door panel. They slide to the side, allowing you to unhook the door and lock rods. Then the panel comes right off. You probably bent the metal rods working around it while getting your speaker into place. Try bending it straight again as best you can once you unclip the retaining pieces and slide the rods out of the door panel.

As far as the lock, if it's a electric lock, make sure you push the door lock connector hard back in. It takes quite a bit of force to get them to reseat into their connector. You should hear a "click" and it should look flush. It's doubtful you drilled into it as the wires to the door and windows run higher than the speaker area.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for all that help and info! Unhooked the bars, bent them back in place and all work again! Horray!!!

Broke one of the pieces that holds the yellow bar holder in place, had to redrill a new hole. And I think I'll need a new door panel or at least buttons since, I found out today, that one side just duct tape. Should have taken a picture.