Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ, something electrical broke,no crank or start...

Old 07-28-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 XJ, something electrical broke,no crank or start...

Hi guys, its been a while... I broke my jeep yesterday and it wont tell me what i did to **** her off... worse than a girlfriend at times... damn jeeps
Anyways, ive searched here, pirate, gl4x4, comancheclub, jeepforum and naxja and have had zero luck and zero ideas from my other threads on other boards... at least this forum is model specific and everyone here typically knows their ****!!

welp, copy and paste from another board but its all the same...

so today i think the rain storm killed my XJ, i stopped at the store on the way home, turned car off went in store and came back out then tried starting the jeep and nothing... no radio, lights dont dim as theyre LED, but everything seemed weak...
got my mom to come get me and we tried jump starting but had no luck(****ty cables) damn jumper box wouldnt work either
waited a few hours went back with dad and his truck and good cables, it jump started but would only stay running with my foot on the gas pedal
i tried driving it home, made it a half mile and it died, i noticed that the voltage gauge was spiked at like 19++ which isnt good and makes me think bad voltage regulator?
do XJs have a voltage regulator? ive never seen it!? what could my problems be?
bad alternator?
bad voltage regulator?
bad ecm?
bad pcm?

when i wake up im gonna pull the alternator and battery and go get them tested at autozone, get the battery load tested.. i have a spare alternator here and im gonna swap that back in and have it tested at autozone while im at it... what else should i swap out and check out first??

i have the jeep basically traded for as of right now and it needs to be running by noon sunday at the very latest!!! it hasnt broke down on me in a long *** time, maybe its a sign to not get rid of it?? last time it was almost sold/traded for 2 weeks ago, the waterpump went out this time im hoping to trade it for a 2002 chevy silverado ext. cab z71, but that will only happen if the Jeep is running and driving tomorrow!!

HELP ME PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

any ideas or directions of which way to head would be awesome... im gonna go tear out the alternator and battery right now and have them tested at autozone as well as the spare alternator... when i get back ill check here and hopefully itll solve my problems or someone here will share their amazing knowledge on these good ole Jeep Cherokees'!!!!
.allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}.allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}
Old 07-28-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

alternator tested good but the battery tested bad, i have an extra battery here from my Jetta same size, amps, and everything gonna throw it in and hope that was the only problem... i fear otherwise though....allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}