Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ window stuck in door

Old 08-31-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ window stuck in door

I've read a lot of posts and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. First of all, I bought my olds, rusty 1988 Jeep XJ as a project to drive in the snow (my main vehicle isn't 4x4). Winter is approaching and my back window is stuck in the door. When I use the power switch I can hear the motor running and something clicking like it's trying to go up but it won't. I have the door panel off and tried pulling the window up just so it's closed for now.

I've read that my regulator may be the problem and needs to be replaced. But in the mean time how can I get the window up and keep it up for the rain? Thank you in advance.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Arrowhead1911XJ
I've read a lot of posts and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. First of all, I bought my olds, rusty 1988 Jeep XJ as a project to drive in the snow (my main vehicle isn't 4x4). Winter is approaching and my back window is stuck in the door. When I use the power switch I can hear the motor running and something clicking like it's trying to go up but it won't. I have the door panel off and tried pulling the window up just so it's closed for now.

I've read that my regulator may be the problem and needs to be replaced. But in the mean time how can I get the window up and keep it up for the rain? Thank you in advance.
There is a plastic spiral piece that is probably broken.
they sell a $40.00 metal replacement piece Or you can fix it with a piece of wire or a carter pen.

if you just want to keep the window closed, Use a small vice grip and clamp the bottom window bracket to the upright rail.

I ran my jeep like this for a year until I finally fixed it properly.