Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

strange starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default strange starter problem

I have a 2001 Cherokee. It has been very reliable over the years. The other day I was at a sporting goods store. When I tried to start the jeep I got a click then it appeared to kill everything even the tape ejected. Turning the key off and on all electrical seemed to be ok - lights, windows, etc but not even a starter click this time. I started to walk home when my wife called and said she could pick me up. I went back to the jeep and it started right up.

Ran good for several days with no starter problems. Now it happened again but so far has not reset.

cleaned terminals, battery seem good. no luck.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to OEM Tech since we're dealing with OEM parts.

Next time it happens try giving the starter a few good whacks with a hammer.

I know it sounds weird, but of its sticking you will knock it loose.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM

Default Slow crank when starting

I own a 1993 Cherokee w/ 68,000 plus miles. I started noticing "slow crank" every time I would turn the ignition. Thinking it was the battery starting to go bad, I bought a new one. When I turned the ignition, same slow cranking, engine started, but after I shut it down, couldn't get it to start again. This time I just had dashboard lights, not even clicking on the starter when I turned the ignition. Tried moving the transmission lever into neutral, like I've seen on other threads, thinking it could be the neutral safety switch going bad; still nothing. Had the starter replaced, now engine has a strong crank when turning over, and starts just fine. Just wanted to throw it out there, because I didn't know that a starter could exhibit "slow crank" symptom, before giving out altogether.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Cherokeeson2
I own a 1993 Cherokee w/ 68,000 plus miles. I started noticing "slow crank" every time I would turn the ignition. Thinking it was the battery starting to go bad, I bought a new one. When I turned the ignition, same slow cranking, engine started, but after I shut it down, couldn't get it to start again. This time I just had dashboard lights, not even clicking on the starter when I turned the ignition. Tried moving the transmission lever into neutral, like I've seen on other threads, thinking it could be the neutral safety switch going bad; still nothing. Had the starter replaced, now engine has a strong crank when turning over, and starts just fine. Just wanted to throw it out there, because I didn't know that a starter could exhibit "slow crank" symptom, before giving out altogether.
u sure ur talking about your jeep???? and u havent been driving mine the past couple of weeks this is exactly what mine is doing

glad somebody finaly figured it out cause i was bout to dump a lot of money in to mine that i didnt need to now im off to find a starter i stoped by the autofart today after it didnt want to start and had them check my chargeing system and every thinkg checked out fine of course it started just fine when i had to start it
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Hi K-SKI,
Nope, I was driving my Cherokee. Let me know if a new starter cures your problem. Like I said mine was turning over slowly, and then after I put a new battery in, the starter wouldn't turn over at all, I mean no clicks or anything. When I had the starter replaced, it fired right up and I noticed that every time I start it now, it turns over strong. What tipped me off that it could be the starter was that I had a similar issue w/ another vehicle (not a jeep), no click when I turned the ignition, but lights were bright and I could not jump start it. Starter replaced, problem solved.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Before buying a starter you could try cleaning yours. Here is a write up from a pretty knowledgable guy who claims the majority of bad starters really just need to be cleaned.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htmhttp://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htm

Last edited by gvns8; 05-28-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Double post sorry
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

double check your ground cable. give it a wiggle and see if things light up for you.

I had an issue with an older bronco, and it turned out to be a brittle ground. If it was sitting just right, everything ran as it should. If it bumped, bounced, whatever, then it wouldn't give me the time of day the next time I went to start her up.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

and I suppose it goes without saying, check the positive cable too.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Strange Starter Problems

Regarding the 2001 Cherokee starter issue. Lots of online research has indicated that this could be an bad Neutral Safety Switch located on the transmission. This could also answer why it didn't start with jumpers. I took the battery out and had it tested. it was fine. When I put it back in the Jeep it started right up. I am waiting for this failure to happen again to test the NSS theory.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by gvns8
Before buying a starter you could try cleaning yours. Here is a write up from a pretty knowledgable guy who claims the majority of bad starters really just need to be cleaned.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htmhttp://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htm
If you're going to go through the trouble of installation anyway why not just pay the bucks for a new one? (I know - it's fun to take things apart! )
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Default This JUST happened to me, same issue!

Its your starter.. I had exactly the same incident in my 99, it was unpredictable. the 4th time it died it wouldnt start back up again after a random time period, i had it towed to the Jeep Dealer to diagnose exactly what all was up, it was just the starter. 4 weeks later no issue.