Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange Front End Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Strange Front End Clunking

Hey guys, I seem to be having a very odd clunking noise coming from the front end. Its a 96 Cherokee Classic 4.0 with AW4 and NP242 TC. It seems to only occur when I go to start the car just as it begins to run, whenever I shut it off, and when im turning to the right and even slightly hit the gas pedal.

Is it possible it could be my motor mount, because it doesn't look like anything is wrong with it when i looked.

Last edited by DrJonesy; 07-23-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

It could be the motor mounts. Specially if they look like this one...

Strange Front End Clunking-forumrunner_20130723_152709.jpg

Poked your head under the hood, take a look.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Just looked at my motor mounts, they appear to be in good shape for how old they are. Couldnt quite be them. It constantly makes a clunk noise when im standing outside of the vehicle though. Just took my front driveshaft off so thats out of the question. It clunks even while its just sitting idling in my driveway. This is really starting to worry me.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Can you make a video of it?

Have you check the exhaust? Make sure its not hitting something.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Flexplate bolts are worth checking.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Flexplate is on my list. I drove it down the street and up for a bit. It doesnt do it in neutral or high speeds, but if its in reverse or drive and im stopped, it will make the thump every couple seconds, but if its in neutral it makes no noises.

I just not anything with the motor or tranny because my sister informed me a few minutes ago that a few days ago she was driving and accidently bumped it into reverse while she was driving and the whole driveline locked up and the jeep started skidding. It has recently begun to make this noise about 2 days after that. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DrJonesy
Flexplate is on my list. I drove it down the street and up for a bit. It doesnt do it in neutral or high speeds, but if its in reverse or drive and im stopped, it will make the thump every couple seconds, but if its in neutral it makes no noises.

I just not anything with the motor or tranny because my sister informed me a few minutes ago that a few days ago she was driving and accidently bumped it into reverse while she was driving and the whole driveline locked up and the jeep started skidding. It has recently begun to make this noise about 2 days after that. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.
well, at least she will cover it for you. one doesnt simply accidentally bump a jeep into reverse. that would have to be a very intentional move. but thats between yall.. either way, id def start simple- as mentioned, flex plate and exhaust to see if its hitting x member. if it does it while just in park (or neutral) this wil help you be able to start pinpointing the noise. maybe get sis to buy a stethoscope to help the process..
Old 07-23-2013, 05:05 PM

Well from what I remember, since I have been driving this thing the shifter has always had been able to shift into certain gears if you accidently bump it, almost liek the button is always engaged and you don't even need to press the breaks. Its kinda strange but its always been like that, just gotta be careful, which I don't think she was. Im checking all my oils for metal shavings and everything like that at the moment, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. I have pinpointed it right near the hump in the cab. So its near the tranny or where the two connect.

It did seem to go away when i jacked the tranny up ff the crossmember though, but i couldn't drive it seeing as it was just being supported up by the jack.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Just found out the problem. It seems when that incident occured, when it binded up my drivetrain, my tranny mount completely collapsed, causing my exhaust to be about 1/16 away from the transmission and began to grind on it. Problem Solved!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I was about to tell you your exhaust was hitting the crossmember. i have the same problem