Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange clunking problem when driving

Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Strange clunking problem when driving

Ok, this is probably going to be kind of long.
When my XJ is sitting on the ground and I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then back to the left, there is one point in which it feels like its binding up on me. It then pops pretty loud and kind of shakes the front end. Both me and my dad got under it and cannot seem to see what the problem is. Driving it seems ok since your really not making any hard turns or anything, but it does sound like something is rattleing, but then when you put it in 4 wheel drive all hell breaks loose. So im thinking I have a busted driver side axle, or the locker in the front diff which is a power traxx I believe has broken. So last night I lift the front put it on jackstands and drain the front diff. I check out the locker to the best of my ability and it seems to be functioning alright. I guess I could still have a broken axle shaft though because it might act differently since there is no weight on it. I really dont know. I have never had a front axle apart before.

If I start the Jeep with the front tires on the jackstands and go from left to right, and back it does not bind up at all, which now makes me think it has something to do with the steering setup. To be honest I dont know anything about steering. So what should I be looking for. I have a rough country 6.5" lift on there with adjustable control arms upper and lower, and a rc trackbar.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I just bought this Jeep, wheeled it once and now its down already. Im not the happy camper.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

More info. What is "all hell"? Vibes, clunks, pops, grinding? Something is binding up, and when it gets weight off it's ok. Over tightened anything? You sure you've competently (no disrespect) inspected all steering, suspension and driveline parts? Have you pulled the half shafts to actually check them?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clunks and pops when its on the ground and the steering is in a bind. In 4 wheel drive its way worse. Im pulling the half shafts out tomorrow. I didnt have access to a 36mm socket to get them off. Although I do need to better inspect all of the steering components as well, but everything seemed tight.