Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stock XJ: 1. Blizzard 0

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Stock XJ: 1. Blizzard 0

Boy am I proud of my stock XJ. We had blissard considions since about 3:00pm yesterday, which are supposed to end today at 6:00pm. When I got up this morning, there were drifts of snow 3-4 feet deep and the weather advisory on the bottom of the TV said "Weather alert: Extreme weather. Travel under emergency conditions only." Sweet. Although we expect high snow falls here in Wyoming, we got pounded and the only roads cleared are the main arterials to the hospitals. Since I work in a hospital, I don't really have the option of taking a snow day, so I headed in. To be honest though, I was looking forward to the test and the verdict came in. I am truely amazed at the abilities of the XJ. As I was kicking up snow well above my roof while driving, I was shocked at the control I had while steering and braking. And man do I wish I had photos.

My question though is since I was constantly driving for miles in snow well above the undercarriage, what on the XJ's soft underbelly could have been damaged? I have full stock skids. One thing I noticed was that my brakes seemed to be very touchy. I'm having a hard time diagnosing that as the high snow really fought me while driving so I may just be noticing the force of the snow I'm pushing. My thought is that I may have gotten snow between the rotors and the pads, but wouldn't this melt under friction?

s
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Did it feel like the front brakes, back or both? I've had 2 XJs and both of them had/have very touchy rear brakes when they're wet or even moist from humidity on a rainy day. Takes a couple of stops to dry them out. I took it as one of those "that's just the way they are" things.

Sounds like a blast in the snow...I like those days too!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Man...am I jealous!....I was looking forward to some snow...but we didn't get any.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
Did it feel like the front brakes, back or both? I've had 2 XJs and both of them had/have very touchy rear brakes when they're wet or even moist from humidity on a rainy day. Takes a couple of stops to dry them out. I took it as one of those "that's just the way they are" things.
This felt like all wheels almost froze up. When I touched the brakes lightly, the whole rig jerked to a stop suddenly. It was like I lost all inbetween so I'd either not be braking, or I'd be slamming on the brakes. I do not have ABS. While driving in the high snow though, any time I'd let off the gas (like to shift), the car would slow down considerably so I don't know if it is the brakes being literally froze up or if it was all the added friction needed with the snow pushing back so hard. I guess I'll figure out when the streets are clear and I'm able to see what it does under normal conditions, but it was quite remarkable stopping power I had.

s
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

X2 on the rain/moisture, my Dakota does this in the morning when it rains or if the humidity is high, but my XJ doesn't since the drums are worn out :-) that is why I'm upgrading to a rear disk system...

also remember your front and rear axles are deep in the snow and you are pushing against that, I used to do the mud thing with my XJ and it's like hitting a brick wall when you go through some mud, it really slows you down....

Last edited by reddragon72; 03-30-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by smtippin
This felt like all wheels almost froze up. When I touched the brakes lightly, the whole rig jerked to a stop suddenly. It was like I lost all inbetween so I'd either not be braking, or I'd be slamming on the brakes. I do not have ABS. While driving in the high snow though, any time I'd let off the gas (like to shift), the car would slow down considerably so I don't know if it is the brakes being literally froze up or if it was all the added friction needed with the snow pushing back so hard. I guess I'll figure out when the streets are clear and I'm able to see what it does under normal conditions, but it was quite remarkable stopping power I had.

s
plowing snow with the undercarriage.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by alpinewhite
plowing snow with the undercarriage.
Yeah. My first post even says it flat out "My question though is since I was constantly driving for miles in snow well above the undercarriage, what on the XJ's soft underbelly could have been damaged?"

But stopping power was greatly enhanced when I just barely tapped on the brakes. Why? Also, what else under the rig can get dmaged by constant driving in high snow?

s
Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Wet brakes tend to grab. That's probably what you are experiencing. Unless you hit something under the snow, I wouldn't worry too much about damaging your undercarriage by driving through it.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

x3

My XJ and my Bronco do the same thing when they're wet.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Year: '99
Engine: 4.0

Yep- I've noticed the rear drums don't like to be wet and can be pretty sensitive as you start out... as was said earlier, it gets better after a couple of stops. But don't let your guard down... it can happen again on the same day!! DAMHIKT (don't ask me how I know that)
Old 03-30-2009, 04:36 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

sounds like a blast i wish i lived in wyoming. i have to agree and would say it's just wet brakes. As for what could've been damaged, you might just want to look around undernieth for a bit. I cant think of anything that would especially be in danger from it in the snow...
Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Man. Coming home was awesome. All roads are shut down except for emergencies and cops are ticketing for people being on the roads because of accidents. Since I work at a hospital I have a 'get out of jail free card' so I'm using it. These conditions totally rock! As far as checking the undercarriage, that will have to wait as it is completely white right now. I drove through a ton of snow banks and drifts blowing snow all over the hood and windshield.

s
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

God that sounds bautiful. Thats my favorite weather is snowstorms. Unfortunately i live in new mexico . You should get some pics of it up if you can. but yeah I dont think you have anything to worry about
Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by smtippin

s
Mine does the same thing on the first 2-3 stops of a drive after it rains or something like that. Don't worry about it.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Location: Holland Landing, Ontario, Canada (North of Toronto)
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6 Cylinder

comin from canada i know what ur talkin about with blizzards! i love em. my stock XJ runs right on through anything winter has to offer up here :P

Quick Reply: Stock XJ: 1. Blizzard 0