Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stock Wheel Cap/AUX lighting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Stock Wheel Cap/AUX lighting question

Two questions: First, my center cap is falling off of my stock wheel, I can't figure out how the hell to get it to pop back on, should be easy enough to explain.

and two, I was looking at a roof light bar but I don't know what kind of lights I should put on top. Should I use fog lights (supposed to be mounted low, but what the hell) or driving lights? If I can't get this (due to high prices and whatnot) does anybody know where i can get a bumper mounted light bar? (that preferably doesn't involve drilling and can easily be mounted)
Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Some stock wheels use a center cap screwed on from the inside of the wheel
Old 05-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dabat
Some stock wheels use a center cap screwed on from the inside of the wheel
Are the screws located in a circle on the inside?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Yea
Old 05-14-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

If you can get at the lug nuts without taking the center cap off, do it and remove the wheel. On the back side there are 3 or 4 screws that screw into the center cap. They WILL break off, and when they do you are crap out of luck. ALSO, had a garage recently rotate my tires with an oil change. I think the idiots BROKE the caps off because they didnt know what they were doing, because after leaving the place I had one fly off as I was driving. Thought I hit something. Then when I got to the house I saw it missing. 2 days later had it happen again. When theyre broke theyre junk. Id like to know where to get cheap replacements.

Up top, auxiliary lights. Put some "stockish" foggers down bottom where they go. Not too hard, not much, if any, additional cutting/drilling.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by bigvig
If you can get at the lug nuts without taking the center cap off, do it and remove the wheel. On the back side there are 3 or 4 screws that screw into the center cap. They WILL break off, and when they do you are crap out of luck. ALSO, had a garage recently rotate my tires with an oil change. I think the idiots BROKE the caps off because they didnt know what they were doing, because after leaving the place I had one fly off as I was driving. Thought I hit something. Then when I got to the house I saw it missing. 2 days later had it happen again. When theyre broke theyre junk. Id like to know where to get cheap replacements.

Up top, auxiliary lights. Put some "stockish" foggers down bottom where they go. Not too hard, not much, if any, additional cutting/drilling.
Thanks, looks like I'll be looking for some replacements too (until I get a job and buy some Cragar soft 8's) I knocked my front one off a little bit when I was fixing my brake.......which is still not exactly fixed.

And with the stock like fogs on bottom, exactly what would need to be done to install them. Not including the wiring and all that crap just the basic light housing installation.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Im putting on a set of Cragers this summer too.

I drive a very dangerous logging road 4-6 days a week. Ever see American Loggers on Discovery Channel, Friday nights? Yeah, thats where I live and drive all the time. I didnt have factory foggers in my 99, so I bought some auxiliary lights ( a pair) from CarQuest for like $40 bucks. Basic wiring, REALLY easy with instructions supplied. I knew that eventually I wanted to put some nicer ones up top and foggers down bottom because again, where I drive, we have tons or rain, snow, fog, etc., along with craploads of deer, moose and bear running across the road all the time. Sometimes when I drive 30 miles Ill see 50 or more moose, 20 or more deer and a couple bears. So anyway, down on the lower cowl there is a spot for factory foggers. Mine werent cut, so I cut them out and put my auxiliaries in there. I did drill a hole for them, but other than that it was a simple installation. Ive now got real foggers in their place and they look factory. Is you can cut plastic, drill a hole and run 3 wires, its pretty simple.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigvig
Im putting on a set of Cragers this summer too.

I drive a very dangerous logging road 4-6 days a week. Ever see American Loggers on Discovery Channel, Friday nights? Yeah, thats where I live and drive all the time. I didnt have factory foggers in my 99, so I bought some auxiliary lights ( a pair) from CarQuest for like $40 bucks. Basic wiring, REALLY easy with instructions supplied. I knew that eventually I wanted to put some nicer ones up top and foggers down bottom because again, where I drive, we have tons or rain, snow, fog, etc., along with craploads of deer, moose and bear running across the road all the time. Sometimes when I drive 30 miles Ill see 50 or more moose, 20 or more deer and a couple bears. So anyway, down on the lower cowl there is a spot for factory foggers. Mine werent cut, so I cut them out and put my auxiliaries in there. I did drill a hole for them, but other than that it was a simple installation. Ive now got real foggers in their place and they look factory. Is you can cut plastic, drill a hole and run 3 wires, its pretty simple.
Wow, I didn't think it was THAT easy! I just have 1 more question, my effin' battery and alternator suck, do the factory style foggers put any extra load on the battery? I don't think they would but just to be on the safe side. Btw, good luck with that logging job, I've seen the show before and don't know how the hell people can put up with that, too much physical work for me!