Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stock shock replacement

Old 05-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Stock shock replacement

I know there are tons of threads and comments on this issue, but for the life of me, I cannot make a dang decision on what to install.
I have a 93 Cherokee sport. I can stand beside it and grab onto the side of the roof and rock it back and forth with ease. Driving down a road with dips and bumps is like kayaking down a white water river. Overexageration but you get the idea.
We're taking the Jeep to Nags Head for vacation instead of my wife's smooth sailing 2016 Dodge Dart so we can partake in some beach driving. She hates riding in the Jeep for long hauls and I want to smooth it out.
We can get into a long discussion about replacing this and that but I'm looking for a replacement shock that won't break the bank, like OME, but aren't as cheap and pointless as the monroe I last put on.
This is my DD and I really dont do a whole lot of off roading. I occassionally tow a small utility trailer for hauling yard waste, mulch, etc.
Thanks ahead for your suggestions.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Banned

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (SJ)
Engine: 85376243572
Default To wegierskie forum?

Czemu tutaj pokazuje sie wegierskie forum?

Why is the Hungarian forum shown here?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Year: 2001

IMHO, you really have to run a better / stiffer shock to help with the wobble the stock XJ's have on back roads, etc. Some people dont mind it, others like (like my wife) hate how it feels. Since your stock (I assume) I would suggest Bilstein 4600 series shocks which run about $79 each. If your lifted, Bilstein 5100 series whci run about $90 each. You can buy either in a 4 shock kit on Amazon with free shipping. The 4 pack kits seem to be a little cheaper than buying the shocks individually.

Last edited by Jeepy2013; 05-07-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:13 AM

I put the 4 pack for my Jeep in the cart.
Do you know if this set works on a stock Jeep? I assume it will add a little lift. Eventually, I want to replace leaf springs and coil springs but that's not happening any time soon.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM

Okay I said let's do it. Just ordered them. I'll have them in 3 to 6 days.
I'll let you know what I think when installed.
Thanks for your help
Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Stevo1971 View Post
I put the 4 pack for my Jeep in the cart.
Do you know if this set works on a stock Jeep? I assume it will add a little lift. Eventually, I want to replace leaf springs and coil springs but that's not happening any time soon.
It won't add any lift.

The only way to add lift is via the springs. Spacers or longer coils in the front and for the rear there's everything from longer shackles, spacer plates, AAL, dedicated springs etc.
Or of course, simply replacing sagging OEM springs with new, not sagging springs, makes a big difference as well.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Would they at least return it to stock height?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Would they at least return it to stock height?
No. Shocks just dampen the "flex" of the suspension. The height is entirely based on the springs. As they sag over years and years the springs won't push the body up to the stock height.
New OEM spec springs will return it to stock height and then the shocks dampen the movement from the stock height up and down as the suspension travels.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Gotcha. I was just wondering because as I was researching shocks and reading reviews online several Jeep owners stated certain brand shocks raised the wheel fender to ground distance a little. Either I read it wrong or they were confused.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Gotcha. I was just wondering because as I was researching shocks and reading reviews online several Jeep owners stated certain brand shocks raised the wheel fender to ground distance a little. Either I read it wrong or they were confused.
Probably in their heads.. Unless you take a precise measurement before and after, you only have "how you thought it looked" to go by.

Replacing the front coil springs (if true stock height is desired) isn't too hard a job - a spring compressor and a couple hours in most cases. The leaf springs... not so much. I did mine and it was textbook - bushing sleeve frozen to bolts, lots of cutting and heat. I fortunately did NOT break the weld nuts as is common. The rise in rear height with new "stock" springs was profound though. I had to put spacers in the front springs (despite them looking new-ish) to level it out. It's been a good 8-10 months and the new springs haven't settled much at all from what I can tell.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

Quite a few years back I put 4 new shocks on my 2wd pickup. The "load levelers" on the back of course raised the ride height a couple inches, but I was surprised to find the regular shocks raised the front as well. I know this was true and not my imagination because after doing one side on the front and setting it back down on the ground, the pickup had a noticeable lean towards the side that still had the old shock. It could have settled down after driving a while; I wouldn't know.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PatHenry View Post
Probably in their heads.. Unless you take a precise measurement before and after, you only have "how you thought it looked" to go by.

Replacing the front coil springs (if true stock height is desired) isn't too hard a job - a spring compressor and a couple hours in most cases. The leaf springs... not so much. I did mine and it was textbook - bushing sleeve frozen to bolts, lots of cutting and heat. I fortunately did NOT break the weld nuts as is common. The rise in rear height with new "stock" springs was profound though. I had to put spacers in the front springs (despite them looking new-ish) to level it out. It's been a good 8-10 months and the new springs haven't settled much at all from what I can tell.
No spring compressor required. Just unhook control arms, shock and swaybar on one side push down on axle stock springs are short enough to come out with easy. Do one side at a time and you won't have to do much messing with the axle to get it back into position.

OP, no mater what on a Jeep that age if it's never been done it could probably use a full suspension refreshing. New Springs, bushings all around, shocks, steering linkage, ect. It's a testament to modern engineering how long these Jeeps keep bouncing down the road with little to no maintenance on their suspension. But just doing springs and shocks on a Jeep that old is only doing a half assed job in my opinion. It'll be like you're driving a brand new Jeep when you get done and it will be a bit costly (700 to 1000 dollars for the whole job for parts) but it will breathe new life into your Jeep.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:09 AM

Thanks everybody. My Bilsteins are enroute as we speak.
Wish I had the dough to give it a complete suspension overhaul. A little at a time is good too. As it is 26 years old now, with 159,000 miles, I should get the job done well before it turns 50 lol.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1992

If you can work on your truck yourself, you've already got halfway there. You can look into the upcountry suspension "lift" ( it raises about 1 - 1.5 inches over stock). You can probably get the front Moog coils and some crown leafs for the rear for about $300.

If your suspension has sagged that much, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the springs, so the shocks don't wear out prematurely and then you are back where you started. It's a bit of work, but you will be amazed at the results.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Banned

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (SJ)
Engine: 85376243572
Default Brawl Stars Hack Download May

https://gumroad.com/l/gemsforbrawl Brawl Stars Ultimate Hack 2019

Brawl Stars Brawler Hack 2019
Brawl Stars Hack Download iOS
Brawl Stars Hack Tutu May
Brawl Stars Hack Revdl May
Brawl Stars Hack Apk Android 2019 May
Brawl Stars Hack Apk Mega Mod
Brawl Stars Generator 2019 Telecharger
Brawl Stars Hacked

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock shock replacement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: