Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stock replacement track bar is too long

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Stock replacement track bar is too long

Hey all, got an issue with my stock replacement track bar.

First, 1998, no lift, 2wd.

I replaced my track bar recently with a Moog DS1235 and now the drivers side is hitting the suspension. The spring rubs the actual track bar mount and the sway bar is hitting the spring. It seems as though the new bar is too long and not pulling the body center.

When I installed the bar I did notice that I didn't have to persuade the body to get the bolt hole to line up. It just went right in.

I started thinking I may have ordered the wrong bar, maybe for a 4wd, but I can't find that they are different.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

I can't access this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=444&jpid=4
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 AM

Try this one: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-ds1235
Old 08-18-2015, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by RHCC

I replaced my track bar recently with a Moog DS1235 and now the drivers side is hitting the suspension. The spring rubs the actual track bar mount and the sway bar is hitting the spring. It seems as though the new bar is too long and not pulling the body center.

When I installed the bar I did notice that I didn't have to persuade the body to get the bolt hole to line up. It just went right in.

I started thinking I may have ordered the wrong bar, maybe for a 4wd, but I can't find that they are different.

Thanks for the help.

FYI: The OEM part number is 52007118. LHD 2WD and 4WD track bars are the same. RHD bars are different.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

New computer and I can't access PDF's yet. The link I posted has one titled "Improper Component Clearance". See if it helps. I don't see that Moog # specifying 4wd or 2wd.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like the whole axle has shifted when you removed the track bar (Jeep front end on jacks). If you install the ball stud end in the body bracket first, then pull the axle over to align the axle mount hole with the track bar bushing it should fit properly.

I used a ratcheting cargo strap hooked on the right steering knuckle and over to the opening in the body in the right wheel well, then cranked the ratchet until the axle hole lined up.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
New computer and I can't access PDF's yet. The link I posted has one titled "Improper Component Clearance". See if it helps. I don't see that Moog # specifying 4wd or 2wd.

That pdf just talks about the guts of the track bar bushing.

It looks like the part is correct. So let's say it's installed correctly too. Is there anything else that would cause the spring to hit the body and the sway bar to hit the spring on the drivers side only?

I did change the sway bar links (factory) at the same time. The steering wheel isn't clocked right either but I was waiting to do that once I figured this out. (I read that can sometimes happen so I wasn't concerned)
Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 PM

Year: 1997

It looks like the part is correct. So let's say it's installed correctly too. Is there anything else that would cause the spring to hit the body and the sway bar to hit the spring on the drivers side only?

I did change the sway bar links (factory) at the same time. The steering wheel isn't clocked right either but I was waiting to do that once I figured this out. (I read that can sometimes happen so I wasn't concerned)
You're right, no cause for concern with steering wheel being a bit off. That can be adjusted easily enough. What's weird is your sudden shift in axle placement. Either something in the new part is off, like a defect, or there is something else going on we can't see. What's the stock bar length supposed to be, and does the new one actually measure the same?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

Post a couple pics, and maybe hold the old one up to the new if you still have it.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Are your spring perches all rusted out?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 AM

I did do a quick measurement a few days ago and it was 3/8" longer. I'm going to double check that tonight. For how much it's hitting 3/8's doesn't seem like much.

I'll get some pics tonight too and I'll double check for rust on the spring perch, but off memory I'd say no they are not. Yes I still have the old bar.

What I also will try to do is lift the front and disconnect the TB at the axel along with the sway bar. See if I can get everything to hang freely and go from there.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:42 PM

So it's definitely 3/8 and a tick too long. Got a pic of where it's rubbing and with the old bar pretty close to lined up. Guess I need a new bar. Good news is if I get a 5" lift I won't need a new one! -_-