Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Still needing help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Still needing help

Ok, so I spent lots of time under my wife's 94 xj with some results. I did fix her heat, so I did win some brownie points thanks to a thread that I found on here, so Thanks. But, my jerking problem still persists. Was heading to church today and it started doing it again. I noticed that when it started to jerk the RPMs never went down. When I saw that I started to think that my problem is transmission related. It will idle great and half the time it will not jerk a bit, but about every other time I drive it it starts jerking on acceleration. I will say that the shifter does have to be just right to start. Could it be a problem with the neutral safety switch slipping. I also think it could be the throttle position sensor. What other things would cause it to do this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 03:37 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by Ashewagon
Ok, so I spent lots of time under my wife's 94 xj with some results. I did fix her heat, so I did win some brownie points thanks to a thread that I found on here, so Thanks. But, my jerking problem still persists. Was heading to church today and it started doing it again. I noticed that when it started to jerk the RPMs never went down. When I saw that I started to think that my problem is transmission related. It will idle great and half the time it will not jerk a bit, but about every other time I drive it it starts jerking on acceleration. I will say that the shifter does have to be just right to start. Could it be a problem with the neutral safety switch slipping. I also think it could be the throttle position sensor. What other things would cause it to do this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I think you're on the right track with the TPS.. a quick search on here will show you how to test them. The NSS won't affect normal driving at all.. only starting and backup lights. If it's intermittant, it's most likely in need of cleaning(internally) you have to remove it and take it apart. It's a little difficult to remove due to tight space, but once out, taking it apart and cleaning/dielectric greasing it is easy. Back to jerkin'.. have you checked for any stored codes? The jerking 'could' be in the tranny, but i kinda doubt it. A split second 'no spark' condition could feel like a jerk, and might set a code;and might not reflect any drop in rpm. Also, check fuel pressure.. if it's low or intermittant, that could jerk too. Just some ideas
Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

When I checked it the only code that came up was to the effect of "electrical field malfunction/short" Now what that means I have no idea. I checked the fluid level today and it is fine. Will try to get the throttle position sensor out tonight. It is new, but I guess the guy who put it in could have done it wrong, like he did my motor, but that is a past lesson learned and I want to move on. anyway, thanks