Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sticking, Jumping Gears: '96 Cherokee Country

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sticking, Jumping Gears: '96 Cherokee Country

My Cherokee seems to have a difficult time shifting out of third and into fourth gear, usually around 35mph. It will shift up to third, then hover around 3000rpm. Eventually, after a while, it will shift into fourth. Third-into-fourth is the only place the gears stick.

However, lately it has also taken to jumping from 5th gear down to 4th and 3rd while going highway speeds. Nothing provokes it--I'm not much of a crazy driver so I usually hold steady around the speed limit without much speeding up and slowing down. Sometimes the shifting happens a lot, other times it will shift a few times then stop. It doesn't randomly shift EVERY time I drive, only about every other time I drive it.

I've recently had battery/alternator issues. Battery went bad, alternator overworked to compensate, wrecked bearings in alternator, replaced battery then a week later replaced the alternator. The only reason I mention this is that my generator light will occassionally light up when this shifting problem happens. Part of me thinks this might be an electrical issues (a friend of mine mentioned that while this was happening on my bad alternator it may have been caused by a lack of power to the gear sensor).

I'm not much of a gear head so I apologize if some of this is amateur. I'm not sure what the problem is but if anyone has had similar issues or thinks they might understand the problem I'd really appreciate the help.