Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

steering wheel, very loose.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default steering wheel, very loose.

88 wagoneer.

Wheel moves freely up and down, as if the tilt mechanism is broken?

but, the tilt lever will work to the extent of setting as far down as it will fall, but there is no resistance going up. any thoughts? this is hard to explain so feel free to ask questions if i need to clarify the problem.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM

Year: 2 88 XJ/1 86 XJ/ 98 Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

This happened to my other 88 XJ I just found it easier to replace the whole Steering column. As it will get to be a hassle to try and fix the one thats already in your Jeep. Good luck and keep me posted.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Year: 1991

Sounds like the typical loose GM tilt problem...do a search for "loose GM tilt steering"...lots of helpful step by step repair info out there on this one.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 PM

well speaking of steering wheel being loose, mine is loose in the sense that the wheel turns very very easily. its very sensitive. especially when on the interstate. one wrong flex and...
soooo when we were getting a front end alignment one time, the guy told us that we needed a new tortion bar. can someone explain what that is or what it does? is this what causes my wheel to be so touchy?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM

Thank You!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

the loose wheel problem isn't all that bad to fix. you need 2 people or get the correct tool to push the lock plate back in so you can reinstall the clip to hold it. you have to take out the upper part of the steering column which is where I spent a good 2 hours trying to figure out how to do. there is 3 silver holding the upper column on and a little black torx screw holding in the ignition cylinder. when you get to this point remove all of them then unclip all of the wires running down the column to give you play in the wires. you will notice through 2 holes 2 brass colored "screws" you need a socket to tighten. those come loose. just tighten and reassemble.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 PM

Default Steering Over-Correction

Originally Posted by brandonl2000
well speaking of steering wheel being loose, mine is loose in the sense that the wheel turns very very easily. its very sensitive. especially when on the interstate. one wrong flex and...
soooo when we were getting a front end alignment one time, the guy told us that we needed a new tortion bar. can someone explain what that is or what it does? is this what causes my wheel to be so touchy?
Not sure if this user is till around, but I'm suffering from the same issue. There's about an inch play left or right on the steering wheel - (it is aligned) but moreso, it seems as though I am always over-steering or over-correcting. I wouldn't want to make a rash decision at high speed as I feel as though it would start speed wobbling.

Is steering supposed to be pretty tight in these (1990 Cherokee Wagoneer) or is this typical?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

are you lifted, because castor can have that effect.

or maybe your steering dampener is shot.
i removed mine, and now my steering is non resistant.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 PM

Year: 1997

1) how is your track bar? If its worn then that will translate into slack in your steering

2) steering box secured to frame? Broken bolts?