Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering Wheel Jerk Over Bumps - Moog Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Steering Wheel Jerk Over Bumps - Moog Arms?

Evening gents!

When I hit a pot hole / bump my steering wheel jerks pretty good. I don't believe this is death wobble, once I am past the bump, it's smooth sailing. I came across some info on a TSB for replacing the control arms and bushings. I was thinking of replacing them anywho, and came across these moog arms part k660204.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...1545304393____

Anyone have experience with 'em?

I have a rattle when breaking which I believe is my driveshaft. and a thump bymy feet when turning while I am driving. I got under there and shook the hell out of everthing and checked bolts to no avail.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO inline six
Default just stop

stop and look at your sway bar end links
Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by wilcherkyle
stop and look at your sway bar end links

They have been replaced recently
Old 09-17-2011, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bump steer.

Stock front end?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

The clunk awhile turning sounds likeba loose frameside trackbar bracket. Have someone start the xj and turn the wheel left and right lock to lock while you are sitting by the drivers wheel watching for the trackbar bracket to move or pop.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Bump steer.

Stock front end?

Yep, stock front end.

I'll put the woman to work, and make her turn the wheel while I observe the trackbar.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by BlackHammer
Evening gents!

When I hit a pot hole / bump my steering wheel jerks pretty good. I don't believe this is death wobble, once I am past the bump, it's smooth sailing. I came across some info on a TSB for replacing the control arms and bushings. I was thinking of replacing them anywho, and came across these moog arms part k660204.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...1545304393____

Anyone have experience with 'em?

I have a rattle when breaking which I believe is my driveshaft. and a thump bymy feet when turning while I am driving. I got under there and shook the hell out of everthing and checked bolts to no avail.
If you have mostly original parts under there, then ya gotta assume that everything is kinda worn and may in some small way be contributing to the play/wobble. Idk about the moot parts, but as far as things that will contribute to wobble are...http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Know...teering(1).jpg
Any of the highlighted items may have bad bushings, ends, or are just loose. Look those over first.
The rattle when breaking.. Does it change with speed? Can you describe more? The thump sounds like a bad front DS. Depending on year, your front DS may be equipped with a cardon joint, which I don't think can be rebuilt/replaced. Instead I think the JY is the place to go.
As for shaking things underneath, did you twist DS's and lift front wheels off ground and tip them back and forth by the top and bottom and also the u joint it's self?

Last edited by VTJeep; 09-17-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
If you have mostly original parts under there, then ya gotta assume that everything is kinda worn and may in some small way be contributing to the play/wobble. Idk about the moot parts, but as far as things that will contribute to wobble are...http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Knowledgebase/Image/tjsteering(1).jpg
Any of the highlighted items may have bad bushings, ends, or are just loose. Look those over first.
The rattle when breaking.. Does it change with speed? Can you describe more? The thump sounds like a bad front DS. Depending on year, your front DS may be equipped with a cardon joint, which I don't think can be rebuilt/replaced. Instead I think the JY is the place to go.
As for shaking things underneath, did you twist DS's and lift front wheels off ground and tip them back and forth by the top and bottom and also the u joint it's self?
The rattle when breaking kind of sounds like pulling a chain over the edge of something if that makes any sense. It happens when breaking or if I hit a bump. The breaks are 100% new. I have lifted the jeep up and tried moving the wheels, they don't budge. I was thinking of removing the driveshaft and seeing if that eliminates the problem. Is the front DS easy to remove/re-install?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 AM

Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by Nor-CalJeeper
The clunk awhile turning sounds likeba loose frameside trackbar bracket. Have someone start the xj and turn the wheel left and right lock to lock while you are sitting by the drivers wheel watching for the trackbar bracket to move or pop.
I agree, and I love your sig!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by countryboy215
I agree, and I love your sig!
Lol thanks bro I appreciate it
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM

How in gods name do you tighten the driver side track bar bolt? That side I can push up a little bit, so I removed the cotter pin, but can't get a wrench around the bolt. Am I missing something?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Member

The balljoint nut on the drivers side of the trackbar is a 19mm if I remember right. Since it is on a ball joint though you need to press really hard against the balljoint or tap it up with a hammer to keep the balljoint shaft from spinning.

it can be a real p.i.t.a especially until you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps ya out

b.t.w. sometimes its ALOT easier to use a 19mm socket instead of a wrench. using a wrench gives you an extremely short turn radius so you have to repostion like every 1/16th of a turn lol
Old 09-18-2011, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by BlackHammer
Yep, stock front end.

I'll put the woman to work, and make her turn the wheel while I observe the trackbar.
You've got that backwards.