Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering/Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Steering/Suspension Help

I'm a teenager who is learning how to do maintenance on his own Jeep, so I figured asking no dumb questions is dumber than asking a dumb question. Anyway, my steering wheel has a lot of play in it and I'm trying to determine why. Here's what I've found out:

1. When the wheels are in the air, there is no play.
2. The part in the image below rocks back and forth. What is it called and should I replace it?
3. It's really rusty. Thanks salt.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DCeW24esZsvqFrun7

Last edited by Password12345678; 11-27-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

The part that comes down from the steering gear to the passenger side knuckle is called the drag link. The joint you circled is the passenger side of the tie-rod that ties the passenger and driver side knuckles together so that they turn together. I believe the one you circled would be called the inner tie-rod end and the other end that connects to the driver side knuckle would be called the outer tie-rod end.

This post can help clear up some of the parts and terminology:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fro...-101-a-157714/

When there is a lot of play in the tie-rod end ball joint that connects to the drag link (the one you circled), it can lead to play in the steering, but it might not be the only thing contributing to play. From the looks of where you are having serious rust, it would be important for you to check your steering gear where it mounts to the frame and make sure that it is not moving when you turn the wheel with the tires on the ground.

For the part you circled, there is a product that claims to cut down on play, I have no experience with it, but here it is:

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2008.html
Old 11-27-2018, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I can't view the image on your phone, but will second what Jordan said.

I would start with replacing the parts in question after confirming the gear is solidly mounted. The bracket is pretty heavy duty but a lot of folks have had issues with cracking - if the bolts are all tight, check that the bracket is good - sometimes cracks can be tough to spot under dirt and grime.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Thanks Jordan, that post helped a ton. I was reading up about steering gear yesterday and how it can disconnect from the frame. I haven' thought about it previously, so I'm going to check on it when I can.

I am having trouble uploading the image Pat Henry, sorry about that. I am going to check the steering gear when I can tonight. I'll update you guys then.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Password12345678
Thanks Jordan, that post helped a ton. I was reading up about steering gear yesterday and how it can disconnect from the frame. I haven' thought about it previously, so I'm going to check on it when I can.

I am having trouble uploading the image Pat Henry, sorry about that. I am going to check the steering gear when I can tonight. I'll update you guys then.
Hahaha, no worries - the problem is on my end - I can see the image if I'm at a normal computer, just not on my phone.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Okay guys, looking at the Jeep and I don't think it's the box. I uploaded a video to YouTube so you guys can see:

https://youtu.be/ImseBbASwNE
(Note: only those with the link can view.)

​​​​Forgot to mention that everything underneath looks pretty tight. As soon as the pinion arm moves, the wheels turn.

Last edited by Password12345678; 11-28-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Well the video doesn't seem to show much - just that the steering shaft turns with the wheel. When you say "the box isn't moving" what exactly does that mean?
Is it that the pitman arm doesn't move? Does it mean that the box doesn't physically move?

I suppose that the lack of physical movement means at least the box bolts are not grossly loose. You should still check the bracket and make sure it's not cracked and you can't move anything by hand (directly pushing on the gear).

Being that I was finally able to see the picture (due to being at my work computer) it looks to me that the tie-rods (drag link, etc) are in pretty rough shape.
If you jack up the wheels and wiggle the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock is there movement?
It doesn't take much to show play with that test - I recently had my inspection and there was play (after I replaced literally every steering component within the last year). It turned out that I had simply not tightened the tie-rod down enough (it would spin without moving the nut), so I just used an impact, got the nut down as far as the impact would take it and it was corrected. I had zero slop both before and after - the only difference in driving was a reduction in vibration at 65+ mph.
Once tight, I had the slightest of movement wiggling the tire.. and I mean the slightest...

I would start by making sure all the steering components (every one of the ball jointed parts) is tight. You should not be able to move anything by hand with the wheels on the ground.

You can (as I recently did) replace everything steering related outside of the gear for about $200 in parts.
You may want to consider the ZJ tie rod swap (Google it - lots of info around) as that's a popular upgrade and if you're replacing the old parts anyway is not any more expensive.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

I would do that before doing any gear adjustment or replacing the gear. Replacing the gear is not an easy task and is not cheap and the aftermarket gears are hit or miss..
Old 11-28-2018, 03:06 PM

You were talking about how if the steering box isn't mounted properly/secure enough, the steering will have slop in it, right? Should I take the electric fan out and inspect it more? I thought you were talking about how if the box was physcially wiggling around when you turned the wheel, the steering would be bad. I believe I have misunderstood.

I had the front wheels completely off the ground yesterday and did the test where you wiggle at 9 and 3 and did not feel any significant play - if any at all. When the wheels did not have any load on them, the steering was responsive and there was abosolutely no play. Not sure if this information helps, but I hope it does.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Password12345678
You were talking about how if the steering box isn't mounted properly/secure enough, the steering will have slop in it, right? Should I take the electric fan out and inspect it more? I thought you were talking about how if the box was physcially wiggling around when you turned the wheel, the steering would be bad. I believe I have misunderstood.

I had the front wheels completely off the ground yesterday and did the test where you wiggle at 9 and 3 and did not feel any significant play - if any at all. When the wheels did not have any load on them, the steering was responsive and there was abosolutely no play. Not sure if this information helps, but I hope it does.
No, I think you're correct. Jordan mentioned turning the wheel with the wheels on the ground and seeing if the box moved, I was only asking if that's what you meant in the video.

I feel like if you had an out-of-adjustment gear that you'd still have slop whether the wheels were off the ground or not, but I could be wrong.

Being that the slop goes away when the wheels are off the ground, have you tried having a helper turn the wheels with the engine running and wheels on the ground while you watch the components move? Something has got to be giving when there's weight on it - if you don't see movement from the parts in the front end (what you're basically looking for is what is moving before the wheels respond, if that makes sense), do the same thing from the angle that you took the video and see if the shaft is not responding to the wheel while in the "slop zone".

Old 11-28-2018, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

You mentioned that everything was tight... with the wheels off the ground, if you grab the drag link where the steering stabilizer connects, can you twist that at all by hand? How about the long tube that connects the driver's side wheel, can you twist that at all?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:22 PM

I'll have to take another video and upload it later. I live out of town so the Internet isn't the best, but here's what I have so far.

I'll have to wait until I can have someone turn the wheels while I watch. I'm by myself at the moment. Anyway, I'm not sure what's giving. From the time the pinion arm is turned, the wheels begin to move - if that's what you're asking.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, that's worn steering components. You shouldn't be able to move any of that stuff.
The tie rod end at the pitman arm is very bad and the one connecting the adjusting sleeve to the "drag link" (tie rod at passenger side) is definitely bad.

That doesn't mean that there isn't more to the slop, but the bad tie rods are definitely a factor.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:52 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Keep us posted and let us know. You can replace those parts easily enough and cheap enough. Make sure you have an impact though since those tie rods spin and you'll go nuts trying to get the old nuts off.. lol

Quick Reply: Steering/Suspension Help