Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

steering slips

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default steering slips

Hi fellas,
The steering on my 94 Cherokee Sport slips about an inch in either direction, only when it's cold. Then it goes away after driving a few minutes when the engine warms up. It's worse in the winter or when the outside temperature is below 70F. My regular mech replaced the steering box and power steering pump. It cured the stiffness at idle but the slippage is still there. He also replaced what looks like a strut on the tie rod but didn't help. $600 later the slippage is still there. When the weather is hot (summer now in Vegas) above 85, it doesn't happen. When we go up the mountains and the temp drops to 75 or lower and the Cherokee's been off for more than 2 hours, it happens, but goes away as soon as the engine warms up. The colder it is, the longer it persists. Otherwise, my ever-faithful Cherokee is excellent. It has 208,000 miles. I drive this baby ever so gently. Please help )
Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

The fluid is thicker when cold and has to heat up. There is nothing wrong it just has to come to temp to flow correctly.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I drive mine in -20 deg winters and nothing slips. That is not normal. Stiff until warm up may be normal, but not slippage.
Enlist a helper, have them turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch and feel each link of the steering system for movement. Particularly watch the input Vs. output shafts on the steering box, and the two sections of the steering shaft itself. I bet you find either the input shaft on the steering box turns a bit before the output responds, or more likely- the shaft itself is slipping where the upper and lower sections connect.

See drawing below... check the ends of this shaft for slippage:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_04.htm

Last edited by Radi; 06-26-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 PM

Thank you EastBeast, I'll check on that as well
Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 PM

Radi,
Thanks for the quick reply. There is some play, will have to replace that whole shaft. May have to order it from Quadratec. Have you had a good experience with them?
In the meantime, a new problem arose. 3 nights ago while parked and engine running, I saw drips of fuel from front driver side, about 1 drip every 2 seconds, which stopped when engine was turned off. Took it to my regular mech the next morning but once there, the drips disappeared. Put a full tank in and no drips. Weird. Although I do get a whiff of fuel all day long while parked by my favorite fishing hole, I can't see any drips.
Also, the starter is getting replaced as we speak, started about 6 months ago, it won't start in Park but starts in Neutral and would happen intermittently until last night when it won't start either way. Had it towed to my mech, he said it's wet with oil and probably shorted out but there's no oil leaks anywhere. I'm also having the neutral safety switch replaced. Thanks again, Radi. Will post results

Last edited by CherokeeLover1994; 06-28-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Quadratec has good stuff. A bit pricey at times, but they usually have what I need when I need it. I've never had quality issues of any sort.

The fuel drip- tough to find this stuff when it quits leaking intermittently, lol. Give the fuel lines a good once-over for clean spots. fuel leaks clean up the crud

Starting in Neutral but not Park is the Neutral Safety Switch on the transmission. I'd consider leaving the starter alone unless it's bad. They ARE located where oil often drips, lol. They get caked up pretty good. Doesnt' seem to bother them.
Lord knows there's plenty of other opportunities to spend money on the XJ's, lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I didn't save it, now I wish I had...I while back a guy posted a warning, (lots of symbols and exclamation points).

He had found that his steering column had come loose, I believe where it met some rubber. He could turn it all the way to the stop, then keep on turning.

I suppose a guy might hold it down below (large vice grip?), and make sure the wheel is solid, not slipping there.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Quadratech used to be a vendor here, not sure of they still are.

They offered free shipping to forum members.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I didn't save it, now I wish I had...I while back a guy posted a warning, (lots of symbols and exclamation points).

He had found that his steering column had come loose, I believe where it met some rubber. He could turn it all the way to the stop, then keep on turning.

The newer versions have a safety catch that limits free travel but the older ones could be spun in circles once they let loose. Scary.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Gotcha...And thanks for that little tip on the iac/motor.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 AM

Thank you guys for your replies...Re fuel leak, the mech found it, a bad hose that connects the fuel pump. Replaced it, no more drips nor fuel smell.

But yet another development. My regular mech replaced the starter ($250) and neutral safety switch ($50) but 2 days later, same problem, wont' start in Park. Though there's electricity and dash lights light up, when I turn the key nothing happens. I hear the fuel kick in briefly but no action from the starter. At one point, there's no action for 1 second but before I could release the key from start position, the starter kicked in. Turned it off and tried again, nothing. Jiggled the gear shifter to Neutral, it started. Put it back in Park turned it off again and restarted, no action. Put it in Neutral, no action either. Jiggled it a little in Park, it started. Repeated everything until it kept starting in Park, then I quit and hope it starts again tomorrow. So it wasn't the starter, though mech said the old battery which was starting to leak, killed the starter. So new battery too ($90) I'm out of ideas. Will take it back to mech tomorrow, again.

Thank you, guys for sharing your knowledge )
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"neutral safety switch ($50)"

Are we really talking about the NSS located on the trans? because that sounds like the whole issue. Did you ask for the old parts to be returned & did it look like this?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CherokeeLover1994
Jiggled it a little in Park, it started
Agreed, that's a pretty clear sign the NSS is the problem. Maybe you already spent enough, he will take care if that.

I can't say I've ever heard of a leaking battery killing a starter! Wonder what he could have meant with that. Anyway they do wear out, I'm on my third or fourth...

So, here is a deal on cleaning it, (they get gummy I guess)
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
Old 07-03-2012, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CherokeeLover1994
T Jiggled the gear shifter to Neutral, it started. Put it back in Park turned it off again and restarted, no action. Put it in Neutral, no action either. Jiggled it a little in Park, it started.
Is the NSS adjusted correctly? Sounds like it's set right on the edge.
It can be loosened and rocked slightly in either direction to get it centered.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

X2, there IS an adjustment.....

Quick Reply: steering slips