Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

steering shaft/column

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question steering shaft/column

So yesterday I decided to replace my old broken steering column with one from the same year jeep, 89. The swap went good, got all the wires swapped and the jeep started right up but now I have issues. The little u-joint that connects the two shafts(steering column and the one that goes to the main box) the pinch bolt wouldn't let go and so it pulled off of the shaft in the engine bay off the rubber on the shaft. When I put the new column on I bolted the u-joint to it and fed it through the firewall and pushed the other half back over the rubber to connect the two shafts.

Now whenever I turn the steering wheel, it just slips over the rubber and wont move the wheels. I need some help here I don't know where to go with this
Old 03-21-2015, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by stephenmania
...The little u-joint that connects the two shafts(steering column and the one that goes to the main box) the pinch bolt wouldn't let go and so it pulled off of the shaft in the engine bay off the rubber on the shaft. When I put the new column on I bolted the u-joint to it and fed it through the firewall and pushed the other half back over the rubber to connect the two shafts...
Perhaps a picture would better explain your dilemma because this description isn't really helping me understand.

What was wrong with your original column?

I think you're talking about the pot coupling which has a rubber boot to protect it from road grime? Not completely sure and offering advice on what I assume is likely to be a waste of our time.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Perhaps a picture would better explain your dilemma because this description isn't really helping me understand. What was wrong with your original column? I think you're talking about the pot coupling which has a rubber boot to protect it from road grime? Not completely sure and offering advice on what I assume is likely to be a waste of our time.
X2 I found it hard to follow