Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Battery has power, but when I turn the key nothing happens...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6
Default Battery has power, but when I turn the key nothing happens...

2000 stock 4.0L 4wd automatic

Suddenly won't start, it wasn't showing any signs of low power or anything. With the key in the ignition, the power locks work, the radio works, the door chime works.... but when I attempt to start it NOTHING happens, no clicks or anything. It won't take a jump either.

I did a quick fuse check. The colored plastic fuses are fine, but how do I know if the starter relay is good or not? (the black plastic cube labeled starter in the main fuse box) Should I try replacing that first, what else should I do?

Thanks as always.

EDIT: seems to have lost battery power now, I'll try replacing the battery. But shouldn't a jump still work even on a totally dead battery??

Last edited by captain_k; 09-11-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tap your starter with the handle of a broomstick a couple times. If it starts then your starter is going bad.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Neutral safty switch
Try starting it in neutral instead of park. Next guess would be CPS
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Mess with the battery terminals, disconnect and clean while your at it
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Clean the battery terminals.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM

x3 on the cables also...not just at the battery also the ground to the engine block and at the starter. The jump start question depends on how dead your battery and the amps of the jump start. Still thou once you get a battery in there with a good charge, try starting it in neutral if it still won't start. Also be aware that a NSS problem can be intermintent. jm2c. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Engine: 4.0l

Make sure the starter and where it meets the transmission are clean, had starter issues that were solved with a rag and some brake cleaner spray
Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Its your neutral saftey switch they get alot of crud in them over time and it can cause no start. Try starting it in neutral and wiggling the shifter around. I have the same problem and that usualy gets a start for me.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Year: 1998

my vote goes to the starter like mentioned tap it with a hammer(tap not bash) might have to do it while someone holds the key in the start position. had new brushes put in mine for 10 bucks and they even painted it black. look for an alternator repair shop or an electric motor shop in youre area (thats if tapping on it works)
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

most of the time, if it's a bad starter, you will still get a single clunk.

i second the neutral start switch. as mentioned, put jeep in neutral, hold the key in the start position and slightly move the shifter around in the neutral spot between reverse and drive.

if that fails, leave the key in the run position and use a screwdriver to jump the terminals on the starter. if it starts up, then again, it's the NSS. (don't let the sparks scare you. if it sparks, you're probably touching the wrong terminals).
Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: L6 242cid FI I-6

Originally Posted by caged
most of the time, if it's a bad starter, you will still get a single clunk.
Not always I had that problem last week and the relay was clicking but the starter wouldn't turn, not even any action from the solenoid, plus it was giving me a low voltage reading when it did start. While it wasn't starting, I just took a hammer to the case and tapped it a few times and it freed everything up for a bit.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

One thing is fairly clear. If you hold the key to start, THEN whack the starter and it goes, you can suspect the starter or the solenoid. (although once it was actually the cable connection there on the solenoid was loose)

If the small (green?) solenoid wire isn't getting energized (with 12v), when you turn the key, NSS could be top of the list. Also there is a starter relay somewhere... http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

Battery gasses have a nasty habit of helping a thin, hard crust form on the bat post's and clamps. They can look pretty good, but that micro-thin layer is a surprisingly good insulator. SHINNY! Lead is what you want. I use a pocket knife, (gently), for the insides of the clamps. For the posts I might use one of those post cleaner wire brushes, but still scrape it with a blade. If you have a condition where you have power, (dash lights ect.), then when you hit it power goes out altogether, that's a common result of a layer of oxidization there. Btw, a half *** connection could be expected to get hot during cranking, or while it's trying. Cleaning those is something to do now and then anyway, so it you are having starting problems, you might want to make sure you have bare lead on lead. Might save you some grief!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

Originally Posted by 1990 XJ-Texas Edition
Not always I had that problem last week and the relay was clicking but the starter wouldn't turn, not even any action from the solenoid, plus it was giving me a low voltage reading when it did start. While it wasn't starting, I just took a hammer to the case and tapped it a few times and it freed everything up for a bit.

that's why i said "most of the time".
even if it is the solenoid, it won't rapidly click unless the battery is low.

anyways, good luck to the OP
Old 09-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Mine does this every now and then. I believe it's from the old worn out key. It will sit there 20 times and not start, Ill grab the spare key and it fires right up.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

NSS.

DFlint just posted a very good write up on it.

Quick Reply: Battery has power, but when I turn the key nothing happens...