Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering service

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Steering service

I'm lowering my truck as part of a project build.

The truck drove okay before I took everything apart, but now that I'm looking at the steering and front suspension, I'd rather not put everything back together using the same parts. I need help knowing what stuff is replaceable, so that I'm doing a basic steering service while it's all taken apart.

I'm not really sure how to ask that.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Everything is replaceable. It's really a question of how much you want to spend and finding used parts for those that aren't available new or aftermarket.

I'd replace anything that has a joint on it (tie rods, ball joints, drag link) if you've already got it apart, plus the steering stabilizer if it's questionable. You can do all the steering parts with brand name parts for under $200.

Shocks are easy to replace - probably you'll be doing this anyway if you're reducing the height. The lowering parts have got to include shorter springs, so again, you'll be doing that anyway.

Really, the one thing that I WOULDN'T replace is the steering gear - this part is notorious for being a PITA as far as aftermarket offerings (bad out of the box, short lifespan, improperly adjusted) as well as a PITA to do the replacement.