Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering issue. Gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering issue. Gearbox?

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 94 Cherokee 4.0 in pretty good condition to use as a daily driver. The steering wheel is at 25* angle when driving straight. I had the car aligned yesterday and they informed me the steering gearing box is shot. I've been doing a little research and just wanted to confirm that this is the likely culprit before ordering a replacement.

To me it makes sense that this is the culprit as the severity of steering wheel misalignment seems to change while driving. I was also able to yank the steering wheel in a direction while standing still then drive straight with the wheel now off center in the same direction.

Other than the above issue the steering feels very responsive and has an amazingly small amount of play (I've driven several new cars with more play).

Advice would be appreciated. I've read the threads regarding adjusting the gearbox but from the symptoms I'm experiencing It seems to me that it just needs to be replaced.

Thank you,

-Jared
Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

If you don't have play in the steering then I wouldn't suspect the actual box.

I may suspect the box mounting. Check the spacer between the gear box and "frame". Make sure it's still in one piece. Also, make sure the "frame" isn't cracked.

If those both look good I would triple check both mounting ends of your track-bar. Usually, if this is the case you'll hear some clunking when changing steering directions.

To verify, have someone sit in the drivers seat and rock the wheel back and forth while you lay under the front of the Jeep and verify movement in the steering box and watch for any unwanted movement.

Also, if you need to get a gearbox you can PM Old_man and he can sell you a quality rebuilt box.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by lowrange2

I may suspect the box mounting. Check the spacer between the gear box and "frame". Make sure it's still in one piece. Also, make sure the "frame" isn't cracked.

If those both look good I would triple check both mounting ends of your track-bar. Usually, if this is the case you'll hear some clunking when changing steering directions.

To verify, have someone sit in the drivers seat and rock the wheel back and forth while you lay under the front of the Jeep and verify movement in the steering box and watch for any unwanted movement.

Also, if you need to get a gearbox you can PM Old_man and he can sell you a quality rebuilt box.
Thanks for the info buddy! I'm glad I asked. Most of the threads I've read about gearboxes mentioned play which made me second guess the alignment shops recommendation. The tech said there was a lot of play... But when I drive it if I move it the slightest bit it turns.

I'll follow your advice this weekend when I get some time.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

No problem. Don't hesitate to post back up with your results.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998,2001

Sounds to me like the "tech" is trying to empty your wallet. Definitely check what lowrange mentioned. Also it's possible that they were too lazy to correct the steering wheel position after the alignment(all you have to do is adjust the collar on the drag link). Last alignment I got they failed to do this and claimed that it "wasn't part of an alignment" which is total BS. Was the wheel straight before the alignment?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998,2001

If you determine it to be a faulty gear box it sounds like a good time to upgrade to a bigger and better box! A lot of people on here like using the Durango box. I haven't personally done this swap yet but I plan to come spring.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by lowrange2

It's always good that the steering box is bolted to the frame. Bad can happen very fast.

I broke the upper steering box bolt putting in my new bumper (extended mounts use that bolt). I thought that two bolts would hold the box. The two bolts only held a day or two, the steering went bad fast. I got a new JCR steering box spacer, spun out the bad bolt with a vice grip, put in the new spacer and bolts and it's good now.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM

I finally got around to checking out the issue. I'm not too familiar with what a working gear box looks like. If someone could look at the below video and provide input I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Invisible Hand
the severity of steering wheel misalignment seems to change while driving. I was also able to yank the steering wheel in a direction while standing still then drive straight with the wheel now off center in the same direction.
I'll make a lunch bet that the plastic isolator in your steering shaft is bad, allowing the shaft assembly to slip inside itself.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
I'll make a lunch bet that the plastic isolator in your steering shaft is bad, allowing the shaft assembly to slip inside itself.
Any tips on troubleshooting this to see if it needs to be replaced? The isolator is on the firewall right?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Invisible Hand
Any tips on troubleshooting this to see if it needs to be replaced? The isolator is on the firewall right?
The one I'm familiar with is part of the steering shaft. You'll see a cylindrical thing towards the end of the shaft- it's filled with plastic.
You can test it by clamping the input to the steering box so it doesn't move, then crank the steering wheel left and right. If the steering wheel moves, the isolator is slipping. Often you'll hear a popping noise when that happens.
If you have someone repeat that test while you look at the shaft, you'll see where it's slipping. The fix is to replace the shaft, the isolator isn't repairable.

Pics here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/dan...-today-132060/
Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 PM

The one I'm familiar with is part of the steering shaft. You'll see a cylindrical thing towards the end of the shaft- it's filled with plastic.
You can test it by clamping the input to the steering box so it doesn't move, then crank the steering wheel left and right. If the steering wheel moves, the isolator is slipping. Often you'll hear a popping noise when that happens.
If you have someone repeat that test while you look at the shaft, you'll see where it's slipping. The fix is to replace the shaft, the isolator isn't repairable.

Pics here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/dan...-today-132060/

I didn't clamp the input shaft but I followed the advice in the link and turned it lock to lock. I was able to go past the lock when steering to the left but not to the right... Is this due to the isolator?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

If you can turn past the lock, it's either the shaft or the box. Have someone turn it while you watch to see which parts move and which aren't. Watch the input shaft to the steering box.... if it stops at the lock but the upper part of the shaft still moves- it's the steering isolator.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM

If you can turn past the lock, it's either the shaft or the box. Have someone turn it while you watch to see which parts move and which aren't. Watch the input shaft to the steering box.... if it stops at the lock but the upper part of the shaft still moves- it's the steering isolator.
Will do thanks buddy. If its the isolator this is the replacement correct?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/steerin...g-4713943.html

God I love how cheap parts are for this car. Steering racks for my other car are close to $1k.