Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Steering issue

The symptom My Steering wheel has gotten rotated almost 180 degrees. Drives straight when steering wheel is off. Turns left with wheel in correct position.

I have checked Power steering fluid.
inspected all of the front end components that I can think of and all looks normal.
Checked the steering shaft and u joints. All looks good. No extra play in steering just the Steering wheel is no longer in the correct position.

When it happened un sure.
On our last off road ride I got hung up on a big log. got pulled off of that and then shortly switched rides with a buddy. He noticed it when he got in to drive. I noticed as soon as I got back in as well. Hard to say exactly when it happened because the trails were really never straight for a while. except I know it happened sometime during the ride.

It doesn't bother me that it is like this but, I know something has to be wrong for this to have happened. Any Ideas?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

I may have figured it out. The drag link may have gotten off. I will check that tomorrow. I guess worst case this will be a fix for someone else haha.