Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering gear box help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Steering gear box help

OK so now that i have my tax money i'm going to fix a few things that have been bothering me on my xj.

The thing i want to replace first is my steering gear box, i have alot of play in my sttering wheel and you can turn the steering wheel and the shaft going to the gear box is moving like it should but the steering gear isnt doing anthing unless you turn the steering wheel more so the box is toast.

SO i'm going to buy a new steering gear box and wondering if anybody has any tips on replacing it and should i also replace the lines while i'm replacing the box.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by jeepxjho
OK so now that i have my tax money i'm going to fix a few things that have been bothering me on my xj.

The thing i want to replace first is my steering gear box, i have alot of play in my sttering wheel and you can turn the steering wheel and the shaft going to the gear box is moving like it should but the steering gear isnt doing anthing unless you turn the steering wheel more so the box is toast.

SO i'm going to buy a new steering gear box and wondering if anybody has any tips on replacing it and should i also replace the lines while i'm replacing the box.
You can try tightening the worm gear first before you replace it also check to see if the steering box bolts are loose (common problem with xj's)...Tj
Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Sounds good i'll look into the frame bolt as for trying to tighten the worm gear adjustment i tried it before and the steering tightened up wonderfully but i then had it where it jerk when it was in the middle.

Like it binded up when it was a center a little.

SO wondering if i did it right or is there something else i should do.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

The way you do that is to have someone move the steering wheel back and forth about 1/8 turn. Just tighten it until you get instant movement from the pitman arm when the shaft starts to turn.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM

Year: 98' and 99'
Engine: 4.0

if its a newer box with warranty. be aware that when you turn the nut for the worm gear it will void warranty...
Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Year: 1998

Do we have to remove the grill or bumper to get to the worm gear adjustment?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:26 PM

no
Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 PM

Year: 1998

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah for me i just have to unplug the electric fan on the drivers side and remove it and i have plenty of room to get to it.

SO i think i will take the fan out and try the adjustment thing again this time have my wife inside moving the wheel until it tightens up and then stop there.

i may have over tightened it causing the problem.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Seasoned Member

UPDATE.

Well i had my wife sit in the jeep moving the steering wheel while i adjusted the screw on the top of the gear box and the jeep feels gret now with no play in the wheel it feels very nice.

I tried adjusting it once before but i think i adjusted it to much which caused the jerking i felt so i had to unscrew it back but this time it works great.

I adjusted just enough so that when you move the steering wheel the wheels move also.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:03 PM

Year: 1990 2door
Engine: 4.0L

not to sound like a total idiot, I'm new to wrenching, but what is the worm gear and where is it located? I have the same problem with play in the wheel. Thanks for any help
Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jeepxjho
UPDATE.

Well i had my wife sit in the jeep moving the steering wheel while i adjusted the screw on the top of the gear box and the jeep feels gret now with no play in the wheel it feels very nice.

I tried adjusting it once before but i think i adjusted it to much which caused the jerking i felt so i had to unscrew it back but this time it works great.

I adjusted just enough so that when you move the steering wheel the wheels move also.
that is good to know.. im going to do it to mine tomorow
Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by stan'sredxj
not to sound like a total idiot, I'm new to wrenching, but what is the worm gear and where is it located? I have the same problem with play in the wheel. Thanks for any help
That is an internal part inside the box you can't see.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Member

The worm gear is a internal part of the steering gear box if you have the same issue remove your drivers side electric fan, there is 2 bolts on the top that hold it in and then it slides out from the top.

once that is removed you will be able to see the 5/8" nut on top and a set screw that has a allen head hole on top.

Insert the allen head on top and then lossen the nut once its loose tighten the allen head screw about 1/4 a turn then recheck.

It is easier to have some one inside moving the wheel back in fourth until the slack is gone then tighten the nut to secure it.

For me it was easy to tell that it was getting better becuase before you can move the steering wheel back and fourth and there front wheels didnt move until you moved it quite a bit now its instant.

When your doing it make sure you do it until the slack is gone if you keep screwing the allen head in after the slack is gone you can get to much tension and caue the wheel to become jerky when turning it happen to me the first time when i turned it to much.

But it saved me $200 so well worth trying it atleast if you have the same issue if the slack ever does come back and i cant remove the slack out of it i will get a durango gear box to upgrade it.

Last edited by jeepxjho; 01-25-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

dude... UPGRADE!!! 99 durango 4x4 with the snow plow package... i wish my gearbox would go out so i can upgrade... lol

Quick Reply: Steering gear box help