Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Starting Problems

I have 97 4.0 XJ.

Yesterday while driving to work the jeep was running exactly how it should with no problems. When it was time to go home the jeep would not start unless giving it some gas sputtering and sounding terrible. After pressing the gas pedal for maybe 20 seconds the symptoms cleared up and was idling normal at that point I looked at my stereo to see what time it was and the stereo was reset basically like if you were to disconnect the battery. After letting it warm up I got on the road and it started sputtering on acceleration that cleared up after a few minutes then ounce on the freeway everything was good. I haven't tried to start it today yet but any ideas of what it could be? I plan to get the battery tested soon. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Those symptoms definitely fit a failing battery.

Did you check/clean/tighten all your grounds and battery cables? It's weird that your radio would cut out like that - while still being able to start the Jeep - so you may have a cable or wire that moved or shorted out for a moment or something like that.

Definitely do the grounds/wiring check and do a load test on the battery. Many folks will tell you these XJ's are pretty finicky when it comes to questionable batteries.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6

Agree on grounds. I’ve seen that in other vehicles more than once.

-T.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Agree with others. The radio losing it's presets is one of the bigger clues here, it should only do that when battery voltage is low. If you have a marginal battery, it may be strong enough to start the engine but marginal enough to cause rough running of the engine until the engine has run for a little bit and the alternator can then charge the battery up to a point that satisfies the engine management system. Engine management system doesn't like low voltage.

1. Get battery "load tested", replace it if any question.

2. Remove battery cables and clean thoroughly (including the inside part of cable that goes on battery post) until shiny.

3. Freshen all engine grounds.

4. Test your "charging system" (alternator). A quick and dirty way to do this is to put a meter on the battery. At a slightly high idle, you should see approximately 14.4 volts, give or take a bit.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated!

Last edited by tjwalker; 04-04-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Sounds like the cam position sensor. Or the crank sensor, but more like a cam sensor. Mopar only on that, but another one from a junkyard should do the trick. Cam sensor will throw a code after about 100 times.
Battery issue would be if it wasn't turning over.