Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

starting problem.. please help!! im so close

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default starting problem.. please help!! im so close

So I have a 96 Cherokee.. it has been sitting for 4 years.. I just cleaned the nss and she turns right over with a splash of gas in the throttle body she fires right up... I already syphoned the old gals and put 5 gallons of fresh super with some treatment.. when I first got the Jeep I depressed the valve on the fuel rail and drained the old fuel.. but now here is no fresh fuel getting to the rail.. I can hear it release pressure when i press it after it runs on gas i port in ... should I just keep cranking?? Is there a way to prime the system? ? Did I screw up by draining it?? Where do I go from here?? Thanks for tour time and suggestions
Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

It's a good thing you drained it. Your motor would not have liked that old of gas. After that long of sitting, I would drop the tank and clean it out, I'm sure there's all sorts of nice gunk up in there

Edit: your filter may be clogged. I'd definitely change that out
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 PM

I did drain the tank before adding fresh fuel... and I got a new filter.. ill change it first thing tomorrow..
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: I6

So you have psi at the rail minus the fuel? Pull the return line off and unplug all injectors. Crank it till some fuel spurts out. Should get there pretty fast. I'd hose clamp some fuel line to the disconnected return side and run it into a clean fuel can to reuse or at least inspect to see if it's contaminated.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 PM

Could I just push the valve on the fuel rail and crank it to get the same result??
Old 02-08-2012, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Sounds a bit dangerous. Maybe just keep it running a minute with starting fluid? Actually, it sounds like you might have other issues, pump relay/relay contacts?

The detail's get fuzzy. The PCM grounds the relay a second when you first turn it on, then continues grounding when it gets a signal it's running from the CPS...something like that. Do you have a ceramic resistor on the inner fender near the air cleaner?

Last edited by DFlintstone; 02-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 PM

Relay was same as starter relay .. I sealed them and it still cranks.. it is building psi at the rail but no fuel.. I have a test light.. where should I probe to eliminate electricall issues ..
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: I6

If you have pressure without fuel you have no electrical issues regarding the fuel system. Do you have a pressure gauge? I'm curious to see what pressure the rail is at.

Either way. Unplug your injectors during all this diagnostics. Pulsing them dry for long periods can damage them. Get the fuel there then plug them all back in.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 PM

OK cool thanks.. ill let you know pressure first thing tomorrow after I change the filter
Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Sounds like you are in good hands. I just wanted to point out that the relay is grounded via two different "modes". If you find that it pressures up, but only starts but won't run it may be something like that ^. Couldn't he disconnect a line and run it into an oil jug or something?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Fuel pump could have died......

If the pump is verified to be running and you do NOT have fuel at the rail, you have either a clogged filter or a bad pump.

Change the filter. If that doesn't resolve, change the pump. And don't use Airtex. I recommend Bosch for this component. Carter 2nd.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Take the time and drop the tank. I just bought a 97 that had been sitting for 4 years also. There was brown sludge about 1/4 inch thick under the pump housing. Had to scrape it out with a putty knife. If its been sitting that long the gas has varnished up to a certain extent somewhere. You said it fires with fuel in the TB so therefore your only problem is fuel delivery. May as well start at the beginning of the system and work your way forward.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by gpeade
Take the time and drop the tank. I just bought a 97 that had been sitting for 4 years also. There was brown sludge about 1/4 inch thick under the pump housing. Had to scrape it out with a putty knife. If its been sitting that long the gas has varnished up to a certain extent somewhere. You said it fires with fuel in the TB so therefore your only problem is fuel delivery. May as well start at the beginning of the system and work your way forward.
That really is pretty good advice. Take it from somebody who has been there...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM

When I pull my old filter can I just jumper the fuel pump?? That should tell me there if its working??
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Mine was running too at first but I guess once it sucked up some of that crap it just died. To answer your question yes that will work but I would still physically clean the tank. Your new gas could have loosened some of the gunk in the tank and actually caused your problem.

Quick Reply: starting problem.. please help!! im so close