Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Starting issues

Hey guys/gals,

A few days ago, I took my Cherokee off onto an old road that had quite a few large puddles of mud. I ended up getting stuck in one of the larger puddles. It started to downpour and about 20mins. later, we pull it out. The puddle was at least 2 - 2.5 ft deep. Deep enough that I had to climb out my window to get to my trunk. While in the mud, it misfired a bit, but when it was out, it was fine. We left the trail and I turned off my jeep because my friend lost his license plate on the trail somewhere. When I turned it back on, it cranked for a bit then stopped. I tried to turn it on again and the same thing happened. My friend was able to jump my car and we got it working. It stalled once, but I got it to start. When I tried to speed up to the speed limit as I was going home, it seemed like my jeep was downshifting. (Not really sure how to explain it.) It seemed like when I was driving, it would coast and when I pushed on the gas it revved the engine (while in drive), and then it would stop coasting and continue driving. The next day it snowed pretty hard, so I didn't do anything or start it (which I feel like I should have). Today, it wouldn't start whatsoever. It didn't make any noise when I turned the key. Nothing. At first I thought it was the cold because my door was frozen shut. But later in the day, it still wasn't starting or making any noise. I'd turn the key and nothing would happen. Now, I could turn the radio and heat on. I took the battery to get load tested, and it came out good. My air filter is a little damp though. Also, when I came home from the trail, the pipe connecting my muffler to my exhaust was disconnected. I'm not sure when it disconnected, but I wouldn't be surprised if mud got in there.

I'm still learning my way around a jeep, so I'm not really sure what I'm facing. If anyone has any input as to what I should do/try, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
-Brian D.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If you know you have 12V in the battery check to see if you are geting power to the starter,
Maybe when you went in the puddle/ ditch you broke a wire to the satrter..

Ant...
Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

UPDATE:
Weather was warmer today and it started right up. Any idea how the weather could be affecting it?

Last edited by Zeron; 03-05-2014 at 11:47 AM.