Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 Cylinder
Default Starting Issues...

So my 98 xj has intermittent weak starts, the battery is only about a year old and isn't losing charge, new battery terminals (with the battery install), alternator is working fine. Once every couple days when I start it the starter will bog down a lot and take a few very slow turns before the engine picks up and it starts. This problem will happen for two or three starts throughout the day then it will pull fine for a couple days. Is this just a sign that my starter is starting to die on me or is it a symptom of some other problem? Don't want to replace my starter if it is a different problem. Thanks for the help
Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 AM

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L

you can check the if the red wire that goes to the alternator is having good contact, if the battery is fine and the alternator is fine, the next thing is the starter... take it to a starter/alternator shop they rebuild them for around 30bucks
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Will do, thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If all connections AND GROUNDS have been freshened (have they?), and the charging system has been tested and is confirmed to be showing 13.5 to 14.0 volts, then have the battery tested. Don't get tunnel vision here as new(er) batteries can fail more often than you think. Any parts store will load test your battery for you for free.
--------------------------------------------------

Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea, and the investment of your time in this procedure is always well worth it!

You can't tell much of anything by looking at ground connections!! You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. Be sure to remove all paint from any ground connections.

Start with the one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall, as it deteriorates over time and is an area that makes it susceptible to damage. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Got the starter checked at autozone, failed pretty bad so I replaced it today. Starts and works like a charm. Now time to fix the leaking oil L-adapter.... Thanks for the replies!