Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Starting issue

Greetings fellow Jeepers-

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Love my Jeep to death, but she's driving me batty!

My 2001 XJ 4wd auto with ~108,000 miles is not starting (again). A few months ago, it stalled out and wouldn't only re-fire and stay running with the pedal to the floor. After and IAC, TPS, and CPS, we tracked it down to a corroded connection between the computer and the main harness. New plugs last fall. Problem solved, until last week.

I have been trying to get more MPG out her, so I ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it. A full tank later, I went to start her up and it took 3 times for it to start, the first two times it would turn over but not fire. Finally fired, drove 20 miles, and stopped to fill up. When I went to leave, it would start, but idle erratically between 500 and 1000rpm, and no amount of gas would help or change anything. A few cranks later, it stopped firing all together and would just crank. Towed it to my dads and started diagnosing. Found 3 codes; 2 02 sensors and a large EVAP leak. Replaced the 2 downstream 02 sensors (ayup, 4 on this one) and got a new gas cap. Cleared the codes, and it turned over with no fire a few tries, but now it won't even turn over. Reading about 12.5 volts on the battery, so I tried jumping it and it still would not turn over. Put some seafoam in the tank, wondering if she's gummed up somewhere along the line. Between work and volunteer EMS, I don't have much free time. Add the ol' lady to the mix and that leaves very little time for tinkering, and funds aren't exactly limitless either. Sorry for the lengthy post, but from what I've read on here too much info is better than too little. Any and all help would be appreciated, mostly looking for some guidance and direction in terms of which direction to head towards.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Engine: 4.0

Meant to put this in my o.p.; I do know how to search, just haven't been able to find any scenarios that match what is happening with my rig. Also, I cannot "check the plugs, cap and rotor", as it is not equipped with a cap or rotor. It has a coil rail with 3 coil packs, 2 per cylinder. Thanks again!

Last edited by 2001XJSport; 05-25-2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 PM

Engine: 4.0L

What cps did you put in the jeep? I put in the orielly cps and about three months later it went bad. Changed it out and fired it up. 3 months later same thing.