Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: June, 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4cyl. 2.7 L
Default Starter?

I have put two starters from spilmanauto into my 93 jeep cherokee. Both of them do the same thing my current starter does when I turn the key. It just clicks once and then nothing.
I have been push starting my 5 speed, 2.7L 4 banger for a month now and Im not sure what else could be the issue. It would be real ironic if 2 starters in a row were sent to me that were seized. Anyone care to lend some helping words of Cherokee wisdom?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L H/O

Bad battery, bad relay, bad ground just to name a few
Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Check all cables and connections. One click and then nothing is a sign of a loose or bad connection. Start simple. Also have battery load tested.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Default Thanks

O'Reilly's Auto Parts checked two of the 3 starters the Cherokee has been through recently. Both passed. Could the testing unit have un seized the starters (if they were seized) considering it spins the mess out of it?

The cars battery is in working order as all of the cars electrical things work when the engine is not on.

I will hop on you tube and do some research on the ground and relay possibilities now. I appreciate the input ya'll.

On another note The truck's smoke is blue. I bought some stuff to put into the crank case with the oil when I change it tomorrow. It is supposed to aid in compression and stop leaks. Has anyone had any luck with products of this nature?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Just because the battery has enough power to turn on the accessories doesn't mean it's strong enough to start the engine. Have it load tested. Any parts store will test it for free.
BTW, That stuff to stop the smoke and stop leaks is garbage and it will plug more the just your leaks.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Just because the battery has enough power to turn on the accessories doesn't mean it's strong enough to start the engine. Have it load tested. Any parts store will test it for free.
BTW, That stuff to stop the smoke and stop leaks is garbage and it will plug more the just your leaks.
x2
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88 limited

You might have a bad cable mine would get that way just click once,but everything else worked ,see what voltage you have at the starter on both wires .
Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

Basic electrical components don't have much load on the battery and or the connections. Your starter puts a large load on the battery and connections so large that if they are not in tip top shape even if the battery is up to par it cannot supply the current under load that the starter requires to spin. Do as others have suggested and have the battery load tested. If that is bad replace if it's good then refresh the battery cables and also the starter cables. Testing a starter will not make them go bad.

Black89
Old 10-12-2013, 05:39 AM

Yes, I'd try jump starting it from a known good car, and also check the voltage at the starter when you turn the key to "start." Got to love push starting.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

jeeps have chronic battery terminal issues... get battery load tested, replace terminals. ensure that ground connections are solid, that all positive connections are solid. definetly sounds like a poor connection. maybe do some voltage drop tests if you know how. i'm betting bad terminals
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Today I went back to O'Reilley's. I bought a new battery thinking it would solve the problem. Much to my disappointment I found myself in the back of the line asking them to check the battery I just bought cus it was also just making the starter click.

So I had my buddy turn the key while I jumped the relay with a screwdriver and it started right up, once. And hasnt started that way since that once.

When I did start it I heard the gear in the starter that pops out and engages the gear in the truck spinning more than it probably should have and grinding some. Im gonna throw a small shim that was in there before to solve that problem.

So I cleaned all the connections and Im gonna bet that there is in fact an issue with the ground (as the one that attaches to the negative is non existent) and since the engine leaks oil there is some of that all over the connections to the starter.

Im gonna get new terminals and wires. And right now Im gonna go replace my shocks so as to hold on to a bit of confidence that I have left. Your insights have helped keep me goin on this project... thanks so far!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 PM

The terminals are good and the wires are fine. I'm about to just go give it to a mechanic. He said it might be a safety switch in my clutch but Ive had the car for a year now and never once have I had to engage the clutch to start her up. New battery, 2 new starters, and hours spent cleaning terminals, connections and checking wires and she still has to be push started. arghhh.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

have you checked ALL of your grounding points and not just at the battery?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJGriffin23
So I cleaned all the connections and Im gonna bet that there is in fact an issue with the ground (as the one that attaches to the negative is non existent) and since the engine leaks oil there is some of that all over the connections to the starter.
Are you saying there is no negative battery cable or am I massivly mis-reading this?

Definately clean the oil off the cables below, that doesnt help and may be hiding the problem.

Additionally, if someone taped up the two positive wires at the battery terminal connector, you may want see what's lurking under that tape. My XJ had starting issues when I first got it and there was a TON of corrosion buried under a mile of tape when I peeled it off. Seing as the connector itself was in bad shape, I bought a new one that you cut the stock connecter off the wires just past the corrosion and then the wires clamp (hold down screws actually) into the new connector with very nice weather protection sleaves. I think I paid like $12 buck for it? Problem solved.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM

Dwright- The batteries negative terminal's grounding wire is only half there. It is a wire screwed into the side of the jeep and dangling there unable to reach the negative terminal that connects to the battery. I believe that has always been that way though.

RTorrez- All the grounding points cant be necessary because she works and runs like a dream except for having to be push started

Dwright- The taped up part recently got un-taped so as to check the connection and it looked very clean and professionally done.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH THAT AFFECTS A STARTER.

Keep in mind that when I turn the key the starter clicks like it wants to start, and on occasion it will start if the key is turned and the starter's relay's connecection's are electrically joined with a screw driver. I believe the term is "jumping the relay".

Quick Reply: Starter?