Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Start problem solved...now what to do with a 'wrong' CPS...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Start problem solved...now what to do with a 'wrong' CPS...?

I put a new starter in the '95 4L Auto.

Still didn't work...clicked, no power going to starter..

Then I cleaned off the Positive connections on the battery...worked fine...turned over nice and strong...but wouldn't catch.

So, I pulled the front (and rear) drive-shafts (to swap out my T-case).

Made accessing the CPS a lot easier.

Took the old one off....put the new one on...go to plug it in and the Connectors are DIFFERENT....(foul language)..

So, I took it back off (My vehicle needs a 3 pin connector...the 'replacement'...which is correct for my year, but with the OBD-II connector..has a 3 BLADE connector).

So, I cut the 3 blade end off the new CPS, and wired it to the old connector....kept the middle wire the same, and it didn't work...turned it 'around'...(left wire to right wire on the connector) and it works great.

NOW>>>It starts fine. I twisted the ends of the wires together, put electrical tape around each connection, then around the whole thing.

Should I leave well enough alone?
Should I (next nice day) take the tape off, get a better connector and possibly shrink wrap?
Or...just get a new CPS with the correct plug?

Thanks!

AFARR
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

personally if i had the extra money id get the right one but if your hurting on cash get some shrink tube butt connectors
Amazon.com: HEAT SHRINK BUTT Connector 16-14, 25 pack: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: HEAT SHRINK BUTT Connector 16-14, 25 pack: Sports & Outdoors
i no their pricey but its worth it to use if you wire up stuff like foglights
Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by AFARR
I put a new starter in the '95 4L Auto.

Still didn't work...clicked, no power going to starter..

Then I cleaned off the Positive connections on the battery...worked fine...turned over nice and strong...but wouldn't catch.

So, I pulled the front (and rear) drive-shafts (to swap out my T-case).

Made accessing the CPS a lot easier.

Took the old one off....put the new one on...go to plug it in and the Connectors are DIFFERENT....(foul language)..

So, I took it back off (My vehicle needs a 3 pin connector...the 'replacement'...which is correct for my year, but with the OBD-II connector..has a 3 BLADE connector).

So, I cut the 3 blade end off the new CPS, and wired it to the old connector....kept the middle wire the same, and it didn't work...turned it 'around'...(left wire to right wire on the connector) and it works great.

NOW>>>It starts fine. I twisted the ends of the wires together, put electrical tape around each connection, then around the whole thing.

Should I leave well enough alone?
Should I (next nice day) take the tape off, get a better connector and possibly shrink wrap? YOU SHOULD! Solder it heat shrink it
Or...just get a new CPS with the correct plug?

Thanks!

AFARR

I would fix the wires properly if it give one problem replace it.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

If you leave "well enough alone" you are begging for a failure in the near future. Probably in the middle of running through a mud hole.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Rikkadog
If you leave "well enough alone" you are begging for a failure in the near future. Probably in the middle of running through a mud hole.
I agree.

If you don't do the job right the first time, you guarantee yourself the opportunity to do it again, sooner rather than later.

Pull it out, I would go all the way by soldering the wires and sealing them up with heat shrink. Make sure to get the proper size heat shrink so that is tightly shields the connection.

Solderless butt connectors are OK in some areas, but where you are putting it you might consider them a pain in the butt.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Just curious, where did you get the crank sensor? If you got a no-name one from ebay, replace it with a name brand. I buy my crank sensors from Jeep and by far, have seen the best reliability (LONGEVITY) with those. I can't tell you how many crap, cheap engine management sensors have given members grief.

ebay = no way for engine management sensors, unless you can confirm a brand name.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Default It was Ebay.

I wanted to get it up and running first...

I'll solder the connections (the way I cut it was near the plug at the engine...so I can reach the connections easily enough without pulling the sensor off).

Probably pick up a name brand sensor as a backup...wasn't as hard as I was afraid it would be (with the drive shaft off...and taking it off was very easy), so I can replace it later if needed.

Thanks!

AFARR