Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Start issue

Hello new here picked up a 92 sport 4d the other day and will be making a mild trail rig/ work truck to keep my new truck mileage down .

Ok has this ever happened to anyone drove the truck home after buying it and when I got home I shut it down and relized I block the wife's truck in so went to start her back up nothing dead all dead . So went to go take care of some other things about 1-2 hour later got ready to jump it but I tryed to start it first fired right up like it had a fresh new battery ????

Also seeing I have the time is there and issues I should pay close attention to while I'm check the truck over . Like I know it has a exhaust leak so I'm just going to repair from the header back knowing it will crack at sometime . Just let me know of any issues to look into

Thanks Tj
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Grounds!!!! XJs really like having their grounds nice and tight/clean... Start at the battery and clean the connections there, the one that usually gives the most problems is the Braided one that goes from the head to the firewall, a good upgrade would be to replace it with a length of 4AWG copper wire. If you search around here you will find some most people have nightmares from a previous owner's neglect. That said, once you get this issue taken care of, start with the cooling system, it may be running fine now but with warmer weather right around the corner.... No money spent on a XJ cooling system is wasted money. Then move on to routine tune up areas. Congrats on the new addition.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0l

Found that the ground from the head tithe firewall was loose on the head . I mean the nut was about a 1/4 backed off :-( . I was pulling off the exhaust header it's cracked :-( and I broke the front exhaust stud in the head :-((((((
Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L I6

weld a piece of metal onto it like a t handle and back it out... or drill and chase the threads...