Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

stalling in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Cool stalling in reverse

ok so i'm pretty sure that I'm dealing with a gremlin. last week i was pulling out of the parking lot at work and stalled when i hit the brake. over the next week it's been random while i'm driving. sometimes once a mile, sometimes not at all...until today that is. this morning i put it in reverse and got a mini stall (started to stall but came out of it). nothing on the way to work however (4 miles). after work was looking at it with a couple of guys and tried to duplicate the problem. turned it over, and just pressed the brake, stall. started right up again, pressed the brake, no stall. engage reverse, stall. this happened consistantly for 10 or so times. engage drive, no stall. brought from drive up to reverse, stall. could not keep reverse without stalling. then finally died alltoghther. when it stalls it does not putter, just quits, and when it quits it is a total ignition fail. (brakes go hard, radio cuts out, gauges quit) i'm putting in a brain tomorrow cause we cant think of what else it could be. my hazards, brake lights, climate control have all gone within the last 6 months. Hopefully it works.... any guesses?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 PM

Cool

so ive had it in the garage for a week trying to find something, and now when i start it up its fine, but when i put it in reverse it dies. please help... any ideas at all?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:54 PM

will not start, no electrical from ignition accessories. - f my life