Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stalling Problem... HELP Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalling Problem... HELP Please!

I own a '93 cherokee 5 spd 4.0 inline six and i am having a problem with the car randomly stalling weather it be at full speed on the main road or stopped in traffic it happens anywhere, and when it stalls it doesnt sputter it just shuts off, tac to zero. Everytime it happens i roll to the side of the road and it doesnt want to start right away it takes a good 3 o 4 minutes before it starts back up. Any ideas of what it could be becuase its starting to scare me, it happened right after school the other day in dead traffic and it was pretty bad. I looked into it myself and saw that that other people have spent tons of money and the problem persisted i cant do that im in highschool and i need it fixed the first time. HELP!! PLEASE. Thanks for your time.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99 and 94
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 liter on 1999 G. Cherokee

My 1999 GC 4.7 V8 is doing the same thing. Mine only stalls when the weather is hot. The engine temperature guage does not show that it is overheated.

Driving time, speed, RPM, etc. do not seem to matter. I suddenly loose guages and the engine shuts down immediately- no sputtering or chugging. The "check guages" light comes on. I have noticed the "transmission overtemp" light comes on as I restart, but I think this light comes on everytime the engine is started and then it shuts off shortly after starting.

After I open the hood and let it cool 5-40 minutes (cooling time required is quite variable) it will start and run fine. I get no codes left in the computer.

I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor and so far have not had a chance to drive it in hot climate to test it.

I have read that a bad ASD auto shut down relay can cause this problem, but have not checked mine yet.

I speculate that possibly the fuel line may be getting overheated and causing vapor lock but with no sputtering and hard shut down I really don't think this is likely- does anyone have experience with this as a cause for the problem?