Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default stalling

purchased a 93 2dr w/126k in Jan for $1300, FINNALY got back to NYC to drive it and it has a few probs, that I believe to be minor but a PITA!!

This XJ has been driven alill over 3k in the last year. I know b/c the 2010 NYC inspection sticker read 123,xxx and the od stands @ 126,xxx.

I knew she would need a few things, so picked up a DIEHARD, then off to moble for a premium fill up and can of seaform, after that straight to the shop for fresh oil, new exhaust (Dynamax), front brakes/rotors. On the way I noticed she was had a rough idle so I had them clean the fuel injectors.

Ask the dude @ the shop to check her out, he said everything looks good the PO kept pretty decent care of her, he told me the plugs, wires, distib where all fairly new.

After driving this baby for 3 days @ stop signs/stop lights she bogs down and wants to shut off, so bad to the point I have to throw it in NEUTRAL.. If I dont feather it out of "N" and it stall shes a SOB to get started, at least 4/5 cranks before turning over. I even do the "poor man"

After reading and reading about this CPS, Im thinking this could be my prob. Once she rolling, shes STRONG esp. on the highway. But noticed my guages read funky, temp will read about 190 or ZERO, oil always reads ZERO, bat reads good 13/14.

sucky part is I cant trouble shoot b/c Im heading home in 2 days and wont be back for 2/3months

any feedback is welcome!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

ANYONE?!?!?!?!?

Im still reading trying to figure this out as im NOT a wrencher... But I believe this Jeep is gonna turn me into one!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Member

I also used 2 cans of seaform.

A can and 1/2 in the tank and 1/2 in the oil.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

well. getting a code reader on there is the first thing youll wanna do if you want to try and diagnose any issue. even if the CEL isnt on, there might be a code stored in there. what about more symptoms? does it hesitate and make a popping like a backfire? or anything of the nature? idk man. kinda a shot in the dark at this point but maybe o2's? maybe the CPS, but GENERALLY, when these go, the jeep wont run... idk...
Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

what about seafoam right into the intake? do that yet?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by VTJeep
well. getting a code reader on there is the first thing youll wanna do if you want to try and diagnose any issue. even if the CEL isnt on, there might be a code stored in there. what about more symptoms? does it hesitate and make a popping like a backfire? or anything of the nature? idk man. kinda a shot in the dark at this point but maybe o2's? maybe the CPS, but GENERALLY, when these go, the jeep wont run... idk...
Yea, i went to AutoZone and they only OB2 reader, so that was a no go, but the CEL is not on. When driving its FINE, just when I come to a stop its wants to shut of. It will pop and hesitate when trying to restart.

Im gonna buy a new CPS when i get back to NYC in a month or so. Other then this issue I love this jeep, its PERFECT for these terrible NYC streets. But I need this BS resovled BEFORE the but my OLD MAN lift and 31's.

Wanted to seaform the intake but wasnt 100% sure where to put it..
Old 04-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Malik3404

Wanted to seaform the intake but wasnt 100% sure where to put it..
Pull the vacuum hose off the brake booster and while it's running it will just suck it in. There is a lot of threads about it. Just do a search.

Sent from my iPhone using CherokeeFM
Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Seasoned Member

ok MORE info!!

started her up this morning, 2 cranks so Im like COOL!! At least for the first 20 mins or so. Shes driving great, stop signs/stop light NO PROB, guages are reading properly then her we go!!

Next light she starts bogging down again and wanting to shut off.. DAMMITT