Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Squeaky defrost

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Squeaky defrost

WTF? Nothing else squeaks. I don't know what I'm doing with this so help and pictures would be sweet.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Okay -
Is it a belt squeak when you have the defrost on? Is it the blower motor squeaking? What is squeaking? The Cherokee I just bought has a squeaky belt when the defrost is on and when the A/C is on - which tells me that whenever load is present on the air conditioner compressor, I get a belt sqeak, or what sounds like such. So please, be more specific so we can help you out.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by firstime00XJ
Okay -
Is it a belt squeak when you have the defrost on? Is it the blower motor squeaking? What is squeaking? The Cherokee I just bought has a squeaky belt when the defrost is on and when the A/C is on - which tells me that whenever load is present on the air conditioner compressor, I get a belt sqeak, or what sounds like such. So please, be more specific so we can help you out.

Well I'm pretty sure it's a belt. Cause that's what it sounds like.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 AM

okay, so it sounds like we both have the same issue. I haven't figured it out yet. On my Cherokee, the belt is tight, so I don't know if it is slipping, or if the air conditioner clutch is going bad...I also have a small fan in front of the compressor, so i don't know if maybe a fan clutch is going bad.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 AM

okay, so it sounds like we both have the same issue. I haven't figured it out yet. On my Cherokee, the belt is tight, so I don't know if it is slipping, or if the air conditioner clutch is going bad...I also have a small fan in front of the compressor, so i don't know if maybe a fan clutch is going bad.

Hmm. Well this isn't any fun. I will have to do some more looking tmrw I guess.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Try replacing the belt with a new one, once they start to chirp, they usually will'nt stop. You get what you pay for, stick with "Gates" brand belt, Napa and Carquest carry them. When you tension it, they need to be fairly tight, tight enough that you can't twist it more than 90 degrees between the PS pump and the idler. All you have to lose is the possiblity of an extra belt.

I've got a little squeal thats from a vacuum leak on my defrost. its probably from a vacuum actuator, but its not a problem..yet. It just raises my rpm about 75.

When spun by hand(don't try to stop it when the motor is running!) the fan shouldn't rotate more than 1 revolution. Getting warm, or over heating is a symptom of a fan clutch.

I just spent the last month tracking down a squeal under my hood, thought it was the belt, no, an idler pulley, no, a water pump, no, a fan clutch.. turned out to be the harmonic balancer, be sure to check yours. You should be able to see a peice of rubber that goes all the way around the balancer and it shouldn't stick out or recede in. These can cause serious problems. Hope this helps
Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
Try replacing the belt with a new one, once they start to chirp, they usually will'nt stop. You get what you pay for, stick with "Gates" brand belt, Napa and Carquest carry them. When you tension it, they need to be fairly tight, tight enough that you can't twist it more than 90 degrees between the PS pump and the idler. All you have to lose is the possiblity of an extra belt.

I've got a little squeal thats from a vacuum leak on my defrost. its probably from a vacuum actuator, but its not a problem..yet. It just raises my rpm about 75.

When spun by hand(don't try to stop it when the motor is running!) the fan shouldn't rotate more than 1 revolution. Getting warm, or over heating is a symptom of a fan clutch.

I just spent the last month tracking down a squeal under my hood, thought it was the belt, no, an idler pulley, no, a water pump, no, a fan clutch.. turned out to be the harmonic balancer, be sure to check yours. You should be able to see a peice of rubber that goes all the way around the balancer and it shouldn't stick out or recede in. These can cause serious problems. Hope this helps

I looked for discoloration caused from excessive heat on the A/C Compressor and on the fan clutch, it appeared normal. I'll have to recheck the belt. Thanks for the help. To the OP, if you find it before me, let me know what you find!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Front Toward Enemy

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L 242 Power Tech I6, 193 hp (144 kW).

I had the same problem with my 2001. When there was a load on the AC compressor I would get a loud squeal untill my engine warmed up. Especially while accellerating. Was told later that it was a worn bearing. Since then my battery died and I replaced it only to find out the old one was not rated for my vehicle. The replacement was 'much larger'. Of course now my subwoofer doesn't work, but hey, The squeal is gone! lol
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/200...-squeal-22801/
Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 AM

I looked for discoloration caused from excessive heat on the A/C Compressor and on the fan clutch, it appeared normal. I'll have to recheck the belt. Thanks for the help. To the OP, if you find it before me, let me know what you find!

yea. i will post up my findings which would be awesome if it was today.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Tighten the belt, three bolts at the PS pump.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by fantic238
Tighten the belt, three bolts at the PS pump.
There should also be a belt tension-er under the PS pump. Mine has one 94 and so does my friends 89 and 97...Tj
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
There should also be a belt tension-er under the PS pump. Mine has one 94 and so does my friends 89 and 97...Tj
That is well known my friend, in order to operate the tensioner screw you have to loosen three bolts that hold the PS pump (one on the front and two on the back) on the bracket to allow pivoting of it.