Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spotty Engine Performance, Possible bad Cat

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L I6 MPI
Default Spotty Engine Performance, Possible bad Cat

So this weekend I decided to put on a few engine mods to increase my torque, horsepower, and hopefully my gas mileage. I put on an Jeep Firepower ignition kit which includes a new distributor cap, plug wires, and distributor coil. New Bosch Platinum spark plugs and an Power Aid Throttle body spacer. The Jeep was able to start up but it idled low and the RPM's would lag whe ever I would give it any gas. After I stopped it, it wouldn't be able to start for a few minutes and there was the tell tale smell of gas in the air. I'm thinking that since it is a 130k mile vehicle with the original Catalytic converter that the raw fuel ight have gummed it up and it is time to get a new one but the question is why was my gas/air mixture so rich? I took of the throttle spacer to see if that would fix the issue but no dice. I banged on the Cat for a few minutes and that seemed to alleviate the symptoms for a while. Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This start before or after new plugs, wires, and distributor cap?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM

I did all of the work and then this happened. I took one of the plugs out after it wouldn't start and it was wet, leading me to believe that it was hydro-locked, thus preventing it to start.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure all the plug wires are correct on the cap. Make sure its not out of time. Make sure all the plugs are sparking.

When mine was stumbling, one of my plug wires went bad and was preventing it from revving, it started and didn't sound too bad at idle though. Easiest way to check is to pull each of your plug wires off the SPARKPLUG and listen for a change in idle, when you find one that doesn't change, that's your problem.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 AM

I tried that. I'm pretty sure that it is not an issue with the firing order. I put my hand over my exhaust to see if it was sucking in at all, thus indicating a firing issue, and it was blowing the whole time. Interesting though was the face that it was blowing out black flakes of odd crap. Alomst like my jeep has TB. That made me think that the issue was with the converter.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

I don't think the exhaust will suck in. The problem is most likely in something you did. You can put the stock parts back on one at a time until you find it.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I already did that also. I went back to stock configuration and the issue persisted. it seems like the addition of the new parts caused an issue somewhere else that won't be fixed by simply changing the parts back. The reaseon that I believe that the issue is with the Cat is because while trying to remove the converter I ended up banging on the converter with a rubber mallet for about 10 minutes. Though I was not able to remove the converter, the jeep was able to start and run normally for a while though I do occasionally it does idle and lag from time to time.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

Originally Posted by gtcochran
Yeah, I already did that also. I went back to stock configuration and the issue persisted. it seems like the addition of the new parts caused an issue somewhere else that won't be fixed by simply changing the parts back. The reaseon that I believe that the issue is with the Cat is because while trying to remove the converter I ended up banging on the converter with a rubber mallet for about 10 minutes. Though I was not able to remove the converter, the jeep was able to start and run normally for a while though I do occasionally it does idle and lag from time to time.
So you changed all the plugs back to stock? I have had cracked plug porcelain do what you are saying.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 PM

I have not tried that. I will check that tonight.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

you might have broken the cat in side by beating on it causin pieces to come loose clogging it
Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Have you check to see if there are any stored codes, CEL doesn't have to be lit for there to be a trouble code. I'm thinking bad/dirty injectors or failing O2 sensor(s) or bad TPS. If the cat wasn't part of the problem before it might be now that you beat on it, they tend to be senstive to shock.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Just checked the codes and there were no pending or stored codes. It does seem to be running a little better though the mix does still seem to be high (I can smell gas once I start it up). I also ran it up to 4000 rpm and it didn't stutter or stumble so I'm pretty certain that she is not misfiring so I'm thinking that the computer hasn't readjusted yet. I'm gonna take it in tomorrow and see what a tech can figure out and see if I do indeed need to get a new Cat.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Alright, it now seems to be working great. I guess that the 14 computer just took a long time to reconfigure to the new intake settings.