Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

sporatic guages

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default sporatic guages

Just today I fired up my jeep and everything was fine for the first half mile or so and then my airbag light came on then my spedo and rpm guage both read zero with a check engine light.The odo also read "no bus". I wasn't to concerned because it was still running perfectly fine. It went away all the lights turned off and gauges returned to normal but then it came back again as I was pulling onto my street. Just wondering if anyone has anything like this happen and I have something I should worry about
Thanks oh and its a 2000 sport
Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

try pressing the cluster firmly into the dash, they like to work loose and the connection loosens in the back.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 PM

I went on another drive and everything worked fine but I will try that for sure
Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6

I had that happen once so i gave the top of my dash a good whack and it hasn't since...

Not trying to be facetious. I'm actually agreeing with Mr. 1976mustang. Those wires like to work loose.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I just had the same thing happen for the first time today. I'll have to try the "whack" out if it happens again.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:55 AM

Default airbag light, guages drop to zero

been dealing with the same problem for months.... finally pulled instrument cluster & reseated the connectors on the rear of guage cluster... it took me about 15 minutes to take apart using just a philips screwdriver... i did use a dremel tool to enlarge the hole in the plastic dash cover to allow removal over the headlight switch ****... it took about 30 seconds to enlarge the hole... no cosmetic difference... the hole is just about 1/8" larger in diameter & removal of headlight switch is not necessary...

after cleaning the pins & plugs and reseating the connectors the guage/light problem was solved... self-test worked fine...

air bag light went out ... did the self test...

1. with ignition off press reset button on gauage cluster & hold while turning key on without starting...

2. release the reset button...

3. the guages will go through an automatic self test. (each guage will go through a sequence throughout their range, all lights will sequence as well... when test is done all lights will go out & guages will show true readings unless there is a problem... test takes about 30 seconds)

if your airbag light stays on you have other issues than the guage cluster... time to check for error codes...
Old 08-23-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by owtolunch
been dealing with the same problem for months.... finally pulled instrument cluster & reseated the connectors on the rear of guage cluster... it took me about 15 minutes to take apart using just a philips screwdriver... i did use a dremel tool to enlarge the hole in the plastic dash cover to allow removal over the headlight switch ****... it took about 30 seconds to enlarge the hole... no cosmetic difference... the hole is just about 1/8" larger in diameter & removal of headlight switch is not necessary...

after cleaning the pins & plugs and reseating the connectors the guage/light problem was solved... self-test worked fine...

air bag light went out ... did the self test...

1. with ignition off press reset button on gauage cluster & hold while turning key on without starting...

2. release the reset button...

3. the guages will go through an automatic self test. (each guage will go through a sequence throughout their range, all lights will sequence as well... when test is done all lights will go out & guages will show true readings unless there is a problem... test takes about 30 seconds)

if your airbag light stays on you have other issues than the guage cluster... time to check for error codes...

This is a good write up. Thank you for this if I continue to have problems I know exactly what to do this is why I love this forum
Thanks for the help