Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clutch conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default clutch conundrum

Hey fellas,

so recently i swapped out my aw4 for an ax15, and at first, driving it was fine, shifted well, no problems. then slowly, it became more and more difficult to shift gears. it gave me signs that it was the throwout bearing being bad, ie screetching noises when pushing the clutch in, could only get it in gear with the vehicle off...but then i got to thinking more about it, and im thinking the master or slave are bad.

the ax15 came off a 95 4x4, so it was a perfect swap into my 90 4x4. however, the clutch master and slave that were with it...well...my buddy and i forgot to secure the hydraulic line in place, and it burned in half on the exhaust...derp.

so we went to the local picknsave and grabbed a clutch/slave off a 93 external slave ax5 cherokee there. to my knowledge, the master/slave were the exact same as an ax15 setup.

im thinking that the one i pulled was bad, and so i want to swap them back out with the original master/slave, and re use the hydro line off the ax5 setup.

1) do you agree with the master/slave being bad? maybe leaking internally?

2) is there a difference between ax5/15 master/slaves?

3) how do i install the hydro line, and remove it? i know how to bleed the system...

also i heard rumor that you can simply replace it with rubber line, i know on my buddys dads chevy 1 ton rollback, the nv4500 has soft line half way down the clutch hydro line, if it can be used, what kind?

tthanks in advance fellow jeepers!