Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

speedometer not responding

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default speedometer not responding

Ok, so i have this small problem on my 96 cherokee sport. When I press the gas, the speedometer freezes and it'll jump to like 15-20 mph. It also takes a long time to respond when i'm braking. It also takes a while for my truck to pick up speed. I've been monitoring it very closely while i drive and i feel like the car takes too long while it's in the 2nd gear (im referring to the speedometer to the left of the one that tells you your mph). Does anyone have any suggestions? could my speedometer be broken? Would a tune up or any type of cleaner improve this problem?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

The one on the left would be the Tachometer which tells you your engine RPM(revolution per minute). Does the engine speed seem to climb smoothly or jump rather quickly and then take a second to slow down after you let off the gas?

I don't have the factory Tachometer on my Jeep but I had one on a 79 Mustang that gave me problems. If the problem is in the gauge itself then you would most likely have to replace the whole instrument cluster, but someone with more experience than myself should confirm that before going that far.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedijeb
The one on the left would be the Tachometer which tells you your engine RPM(revolution per minute). Does the engine speed seem to climb smoothly or jump rather quickly and then take a second to slow down after you let off the gas?

I don't have the factory Tachometer on my Jeep but I had one on a 79 Mustang that gave me problems. If the problem is in the gauge itself then you would most likely have to replace the whole instrument cluster, but someone with more experience than myself should confirm that before going that far.
The engine engine climbs smoothly but it takes a while to get accelerate in speed. Both the speedometer and tackomer give delayed readings. I'm hoping it the meters and not my engine. Do you think a tune up could help?