Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speedometer Cable problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Speedometer Cable problem

Hey guys....picked up an 87 Cherokee...Speedometer was not working when I bought it.

I was going through and checking everything on it today. All the cables seem to be in tack and not broken on either end. This is a cruise control model, which i have come to realize they don't make parts for anymore. I also pulled the plastic gear out of the transmission to check it and it seemed good, no worn edges or anything.

My first question is does anyone know if its suppose to be a short or long speedo gear? I have the NP231 transfercase.

My next question would be any recommendations of where to proceed now with the Speedo cable? I have thought about just going to a non-cruise control one so I dont have to deal with upper and lower cables.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Brandon Scott
Hey guys....picked up an 87 Cherokee...Speedometer was not working when I bought it.

I was going through and checking everything on it today. All the cables seem to be in tack and not broken on either end. This is a cruise control model, which i have come to realize they don't make parts for anymore. I also pulled the plastic gear out of the transmission to check it and it seemed good, no worn edges or anything.

My first question is does anyone know if its suppose to be a short or long speedo gear? I have the NP231 transfercase.

My next question would be any recommendations of where to proceed now with the Speedo cable? I have thought about just going to a non-cruise control one so I dont have to deal with upper and lower cables.
Long gear. It got to be clocked correctly to work.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Finding replacement cables is a bear.

How is the cable attached to the speedo head? Plastic clip or metal?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987

It's attache with a metal clip into the back of the dash. It has an upper and lower cable system too. I'm thinking of eliminating the plastic cruise servo and try to go to a pull and save yard to find one off a non cruise one