Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speedo Trouble???

Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Speedo Trouble???

I have just bought a 94 Cherokee. The Speedometer will work right sometimes but sometimes it will not move at all until i get to going about 45(just a guess seeing as my speedometer doesnt work lol) but then it will shoot all the way over to 65 or 70 and start moving from there. And once it does that you can stop but it will go on the opposite side of the peg thats it should start from 0 on lol. Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Could be an issue with the cable itself.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Mine does the same thing sometimes, try hitting the plastic lens on the gauge cluster, just a light tap usually does it. '94 is electronic, no cable
Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Mine is used to jump around all crazy too. But now it just sits at 0 and doesn't move at all (and causes a check engine light). I was told it could be the speed sensor itself so I have one coming in the mail today that I'm gunna put on and see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know cause it sounds like you could be having the same issue
Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM

Yea the 94 is electric. Tapping on the lens is what i do usually and it works sometimes but sometimes it dont help anything. Where is the speed sensor located?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by A-mac
Yea the 94 is electric. Tapping on the lens is what i do usually and it works sometimes but sometimes it dont help anything. Where is the speed sensor located?
I'm not positive about yours but mine (which is a 96 sport) was located at the rear of the transfercase. I'd assume yours is at the same spot but I could be very wrong. So start there
Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM

ok let me know on that speed sensor
Old 12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

It is on the transfer case, back side, near the top.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

I just got home from work an it came in the mail. Went out to put it in but looks like the connectors are different sizes. So I'm gunna have to splice it, which I don't have time to do today. I'll let you know what happens as soon as I get around to it though
Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995

Also, the speedo gear sensor could be indexed wrong and any sensor will fit into any tcase (from XJ's only) but the connector and language may differ from year breaks. Could also be that the wiring from the sensor to the dash is messed up cause all it does is lay on top of the trans until the firewall.

One 13mm bolt and one electrical connection to remove the sensor. Be careful when removing it cause you could dump oil on yourself, ask how i know, and watch the O-ring upon re-installation so you dont pinch it or rip it.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Also, the speedo gear sensor could be indexed wrong and any sensor will fit into any tcase (from XJ's only) but the connector and language may differ from year breaks. Could also be that the wiring from the sensor to the dash is messed up cause all it does is lay on top of the trans until the firewall.

One 13mm bolt and one electrical connection to remove the sensor. Be careful when removing it cause you could dump oil on yourself, ask how i know, and watch the O-ring upon re-installation so you dont pinch it or rip it.
First of all, I'm hoping you mean transmission fluid, and not oil? And sounds like you may have overfilled the tcase... It shouldn't dump on you. The fluid may have gotten onto the sensor and in that housing causing it to drip a little when taking out the sensor. But it shouldn't dump.

Still haven't gotten around to doing my speed sensor by the way. I have finals for school next week so I've been busy studying and what not. I'll let you know as soon as I do it
Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: Renault 2.1 Td

I have a 1993 xj and my speedo doesnt work do you know if this model is electric too?
If so can you tell me what : where the transfer case is ???
Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Engine: Renault 2.1 Td

Also, does this also run the rev counter cos that doesnt work either ????
Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
First of all, I'm hoping you mean transmission fluid, and not oil? And sounds like you may have overfilled the tcase... It shouldn't dump on you. The fluid may have gotten onto the sensor and in that housing causing it to drip a little when taking out the sensor. But it shouldn't dump.

Still haven't gotten around to doing my speed sensor by the way. I have finals for school next week so I've been busy studying and what not. I'll let you know as soon as I do it
Oil, tranny fluid, basically same thing different names. If you remove the sensor after you have been driving, IT WILL dump some fluid out. It was like 1/4 qt and sucked.

Originally Posted by Bunsen_x
I have a 1993 xj and my speedo doesnt work do you know if this model is electric too?
If so can you tell me what : where the transfer case is ???
93 was the transition year so you have to check to make sure. Get underneath and the sensor is where the driveshaft from the rear axle goes into the drivetrain.
Electric with look like this:

Cable looks like this:

Originally Posted by Bunsen_x
Also, does this also run the rev counter cos that doesnt work either ????
How would it count the engine revs after the transmission? No
Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

My '93 GC Laredo speedo sometimes sits on 0 when I first take off.. just random times, it usually works fine. I've found that if I coast slowly, shift into neutral and then grind the 4wd selector a little (as if going to shift into 4lo) it will work normally again. I ordered a new speedo gear thinking it might be damaged, but when I went to replace it, the old one was perfect (as was the gear that drives it) and the gear I bought was the wrong size. (too short)
Now, after reading up on it here on the best dam jeep help site you could ask for.. (blatant kiss-up) I'm thinking I might just replace the sensor itself. Thumpin' on the glass does NOT help it for me, so I think it must be the sensor.. I just don't quite see how grindin' the gears a bit would fix it. (While it was off I did shine it all up squeeky clean, cleaned and di-electrogreased the connector, checked all my grounds, checked for CEL errors, prayed, and treated it to a nice relaxing wash 'n wax) On the way to the car wash it worked perfectly, but was up to its' old tricks later on. New sensor's in the mail. Ain't Jeeps the shizzle?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedo Trouble???