Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

speedo, odom and cgeck engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default speedo, odom and cgeck engine light

I was away for work for 1 week come back jeep started fine. I let it run for like 15 min before I drive it then about two miles of driveing I see th light come on and speedo not working. Then noticed odom not working. Got gas then the gas gause started jumping around for a bit but then stopped and works normally. I tested the cluster and it all tested good. Any possible issues? Maybe a Fuse or something?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If you jar the crap out of the dash with your fist and it functions normally, the problem lies with the cluster connectors.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Scherel
I was away for work for 1 week come back jeep started fine. I let it run for like 15 min before I drive it then about two miles of driveing I see th light come on and speedo not working. Then noticed odom not working. Got gas then the gas gause started jumping around for a bit but then stopped and works normally. I tested the cluster and it all tested good. Any possible issues? Maybe a Fuse or something?
Go under the jeep and check the speedo gear wiring at the TC. Also check the wiring at the OPSU. More than likely the speedo gear but check if there's wires crossing.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 PM

So here what happened. . I wanted to check my speedo gear before I swapped mt cluster to see what kind I would need to buy. Going to pull the connector I notice that one of those three wires it seemed to have been "chewed"!! Yea I have no ides how maybe a chipmunk or squirrel or something. Little hole punctures around the wire.. qnyway I fixed that and the speedo now works.. but check engine light is still on, do I need to un hook the battery for it to go away or should it just have gone away? Or should I just bring it to auto zone and hook it up to the computer and maybe its from another issue, I have no clue
Old 11-03-2013, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

I'd take it and have it scanned. If all is good they can turn off your CEL(they can turn it off even if a code comes up but it will eventually come back on). Have them also check your battery,alternator,starter,and charging system.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

So here what happened. . I wanted to check my speedo gear before I swapped mt cluster to see what kind I would need to buy. Going to pull the connector I notice that one of those three wires it seemed to have been "chewed"!! Yea I have no ides how maybe a chipmunk or squirrel or something. Little hole punctures around the wire.. qnyway I fixed that and the speedo now works.. but check engine light is still on, do I need to un hook the battery for it to go away or should it just have gone away? Or should I just bring it to auto zone and hook it up to the computer and maybe its from another issue, I have no clue
Before going to AnalZone, disconnect the battery negative (-) cable for about five minutes then reconnect.

See if the CEL goes away. If not have the codes read and let us know what they are...if any.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Thank you ccken so here is how it went... I have been working up noth and my jeep has been sitting since monday because I use the work truck.. came back to my jeep today started it up and no more check engine light!?! Weird but im not complaining. And now my oil pressure fluctuates it probably always had but now since I hqve new cluster I can see.. not too much just from one line to the next and back when im stopped and going..is that just because my last oil change the garage used 5w instead of 10w?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Thank you ccken so here is how it went... I have been working up noth and my jeep has been sitting since monday because I use the work truck.. came back to my jeep today started it up and no more check engine light!?! Weird but im not complaining. And now my oil pressure fluctuates it probably always had but now since I hqve new cluster I can see.. not too much just from one line to the next and back when im stopped and going..is that just because my last oil change the garage used 5w instead of 10w?
5W-30 should be fine this winter. The dude that changed the oil filter may have distrubed the oil pressure sensor connector. You may want to check it for security. The oil pressure sensor may be on its way out - not uncommon.

If a Fram, or some other chinese made, oil filter was installed, I recommend that it be removed and a Wix 51515 or a Napa Gold 1515 oil filter be installed.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Its a pennsoil filter but Im close to my 3000 mile mark so ill check the sendor and change my oil tomorrow and use your recommendation on those filters. THANK YOU!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Changed oil , filter and checked sensor.. no diffrent . I guess ill be fine haha
Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

One line of pressure changes when moving is completely normal. The engine builds about 5 PSI for every 1000 RPM